Ironman SA 2015

Snytjie

**** just got real as they say

This.

Also want to fit in one last big weekend before a shortish taper...

Good luck to all those recovering from illness. I tried Immunova since the start of the year: not one issue after a bad ending to 2014. Real test is on now though with a sick 7-year old in the house  :eek:

It is unreal to think that I'm one week away from completing IM training. I hope I don't wake up soon.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's everyone's race day nutrition plans?

I'm aiming just to finish and it will be a long day so i'm going to supplement gu brews / gu's with some solid foods like hot cross buns, bananas, biltong/snapsticks and wine gums. i've been told to try potatoes but i haven't tried it yet in training so not sure whether i will.

any other good tips?

Solid breakfast

350 kcal per hour on bike through Roctane, PVM bars, one solid meal of potatoes/droewors

300 kcal per hour on run through whatever I can find on tables or dead on the roadway.

Sho getting close now... last big bike / run this weekend. 

Then its too late to do anything more. :unsure:

my last long bike ride too tomorrow....then a couple of short runs/swims/cycles leading up to the 26th...a rest day..some short sharp activity..swim the course Friday the 27th...lounge and feed face and start sunday

my last long bike ride too tomorrow....then a couple of short runs/swims/cycles leading up to the 26th...a rest day..some short sharp activity..swim the course Friday the 27th...lounge and feed face and start sunday

Don't taper too fast. And keep the intensity up. You don't want your body to go into recovery mode before the race.

Don't taper too fast. And keep the intensity up. You don't want your body to go into recovery mode before the race.

thanks, after tomorrow I intend training for around 8-10 hours next week and maybe around 6-8 in the final week, is this too little/much.

Intensity wise , I intend increasing intensity but cutting duration...

Hate to sound naïve (even though I am) but what is this recovery mode? I sincerely have no clue

thanks, after tomorrow I intend training for around 8-10 hours next week and maybe around 6-8 in the final week, is this too little/much.

Intensity wise , I intend increasing intensity but cutting duration...

Hate to sound naïve (even though I am) but what is this recovery mode? I sincerely have no clue

Sounds perfect. Just don't let your body think it has already done the race.

Things to do this week:

1. Get a B12 complex injection each week
  2. Stop shaking peoples hands
  3. Use hand sanitizer every time you use something possibly infectious. Door handles, ATMs, lift buttons.
  4. If someone is sick near you. Banish them. Go sit in a different office. 

i've got a seemingly easy time ahead when listening to you guys- 7hours for next week and an alarming 90mins for race week... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

90 min in race week sounds quite a little...

I have around 17hours next week and 5hr40 race week

you create strong feelings of inadequacy within me...17 hours....damnnnn

i've got a seemingly easy time ahead when listening to you guys- 7hours for next week and an alarming 90mins for race week... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

90 mins in race week risks putting your body in recovery mode. Come race day you are at risk of feeling really sluggish.

Some short, high intensity sessions will serve you better. It should also help build confidence.

Can anyone recommend something for seasickness?  I'll get to 1km in the swim and then need to stop as i will feed the fishes.  I've read that ginger caps work?  The dr did give me tablets to drink the previous night but they didn't work and they made me really sleepy.  

There are open water events this Sunday (22nd) at Germies lake I see. Enter at www.midmarmile.co.za if you want to do some last minute training. 1km/3km/600 metre events....

my training was going well, picked up a small knee pain on the front of the knee which my self diagnosis tells me I should rest it for a couple of days....nothing serious but means I will cut back from my estimated 10 to 12 hours this week to 6 to 8 I reckon. one of those things and well I have been extremely fortunate so I have no complaints, possibly a blessing in disguise.

Archived