Ironman SA 2015

Snytjie

Anything will be better than 2012 :whistling:

Atleast I am feeling better, chest has cleared up.  Hoping to do a bike and swim tomorrow.  At this point in time I am just glad that I should be able to start  :clap:

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try and do open water swims at Germiston lake.  And then swim at Glenvista or Meyersdal virgin active from time to time

Try and do open water swims at Germiston lake.  And then swim at Glenvista or Meyersdal virgin active from time to time

There are open water events at Germies lake on Sunday...ZA champs but anyone can enter

Not that we can change it but windguru and accuweather predicting one hell of a windy storm...

more concerned about my knee right now .... the wind is out of my control.... whatever happens 29th march is going to be an adventure ...come rain , shine , wind...

FYI - been messing around with a bike time calculator over the PE course at my target Watts - check out www.bestbikesplit.com for a bit of fun - and here are some interesting preditions depending on the wind (Easterly / S-Westerly):

No wind = Bike Time (T)

20kph E = T + 9 min

25km E = T + 17 min

20km SW =  T + 1 min

30kph SW =  T + 14 min.

This is for a T of around 5h30.  Obviously the slower you go the bigger the time losses from the wind.

I think these predictions are pretty accurate - last year (in the 25-30kph E) my time was about 25 min slower than my realistic target for that course (no wind).  Rode the course in Dec in a light (10-15kph) SW, and felt like I was flying compared to IM2014!  At the time I guessed I would be at least 20min faster if we had light SW, which this pretty much bears out.

Ideal (fastest) conditions will be any SW under 25kph.  We can only hope and pray! 

Biggest suprise is the difference between a 20kph and a 25kph Easterly... ~8 minutes for very little difference in wind (shows why we suffered so much last year)!  I'm too scared to look what a >30kph E will do :(

At the end of the day the wind doesn't matter - its out of our control and (pretty much) the same for everyone...

FYI - been messing around with a bike time calculator over the PE course at my target Watts - check out www.bestbikesplit.com for a bit of fun - and here are some interesting preditions depending on the wind (Easterly / S-Westerly):

No wind = Bike Time (T)

20kph E = T + 9 min

25km E = T + 17 min

20km SW = T + 1 min

30kph SW = T + 14 min.

This is for a T of around 5h30. Obviously the slower you go the bigger the time losses from the wind.

I think these predictions are pretty accurate - last year (in the 25-30kph E) my time was about 25 min slower than my realistic target for that course (no wind). Rode the course in Dec in a light (10-15kph) SW, and felt like I was flying compared to IM2014! At the time I guessed I would be at least 20min faster if we had light SW, which this pretty much bears out.

Ideal (fastest) conditions will be any SW under 25kph. We can only hope and pray!

Biggest suprise is the difference between a 20kph and a 25kph Easterly... ~8 minutes for very little difference in wind (shows why we suffered so much last year)! I'm too scared to look what a >30kph E will do :(

At the end of the day the wind doesn't matter - its out of our control and (pretty much) the same for everyone...

Very interesting stats :)

Let's hold thumbs

FYI - been messing around with a bike time calculator over the PE course at my target Watts - check out www.bestbikesplit.com for a bit of fun - and here are some interesting preditions depending on the wind (Easterly / S-Westerly):

No wind = Bike Time (T)

20kph E = T + 9 min

25km E = T + 17 min

20km SW =  T + 1 min

30kph SW =  T + 14 min.

This is for a T of around 5h30.  Obviously the slower you go the bigger the time losses from the wind.

I think these predictions are pretty accurate - last year (in the 25-30kph E) my time was about 25 min slower than my realistic target for that course (no wind).  Rode the course in Dec in a light (10-15kph) SW, and felt like I was flying compared to IM2014!  At the time I guessed I would be at least 20min faster if we had light SW, which this pretty much bears out.

Ideal (fastest) conditions will be any SW under 25kph.  We can only hope and pray! 

Biggest suprise is the difference between a 20kph and a 25kph Easterly... ~8 minutes for very little difference in wind (shows why we suffered so much last year)!  I'm too scared to look what a >30kph E will do :(

wow that's technical.... I love your work

What average normalized power did you use to calculate that time

thats a very cool site... although it says i'm going to do it a lot lot faster than i think i will.

it will be cool to see on the day what the conditions are like and then compare the actual time to the site afterwards.

Having a look at the race entrants. Wow, what a great Pro field. 50 men and 31 women.

But only 1965 total entrants, down nearly 500. That's more than R2m in entry fees down. Gotta hurt!

News section of the site last update was for last years race's TV times (May 2014). Was hoping to see some buildup of excitement.

Even the Ironman store is now closed. 

Having a look at the race entrants. Wow, what a great Pro field. 50 men and 31 women.

But only 1965 total entrants, down nearly 500. That's more than R2m in entry fees down. Gotta hurt!

News section of the site last update was for last years race's TV times (May 2014). Was hoping to see some buildup of excitement.

Even the Ironman store is now closed. 

Last year was a 10th year so I guess numbers were going to be down...also the new cycle route had a fair amount of criticism with a number of guys saying they would not do IM if the cycle route was not changed...not sure if that is hot air or not but the 10th year would of attracted a lot of guys out of the woodwork.

with Standard bank involved 2 bar is small change I reckon...standard bank are getting huge mileage out of IM and punting it all over the place...

Last year was a 10th year so I guess numbers were going to be down...also the new cycle route had a fair amount of criticism with a number of guys saying they would not do IM if the cycle route was not changed...not sure if that is hot air or not but the 10th year would of attracted a lot of guys out of the woodwork.

with Standard bank involved 2 bar is small change I reckon...standard bank are getting huge mileage out of IM and punting it all over the place...

R2m is a lot to anyone. I doubt Std Bank's sponsorship is so big.

Fair comment about the 10 year. Bike course is actually a great course, just not if the wind blows in the wrong direction. Really wish I was going to be there this year.

Just amazed at the lack of build up on the site. Just checked out Facebook and nothing. Some pics of Kyle Buckingham. Not even a condolence message for Linda Scattolin who is still listed as an entrant.

Was hoping to satiate my race week FOMO...

R2m is a lot to anyone. I doubt Std Bank's sponsorship is so big.

Fair comment about the 10 year. Bike course is actually a great course, just not if the wind blows in the wrong direction. Really wish I was going to be there this year.

Just amazed at the lack of build up on the site. Just checked out Facebook and nothing. Some pics of Kyle Buckingham. Not even a condolence message for Linda Scattolin who is still listed as an entrant.

Was hoping to satiate my race week FOMO...

I have not ridden the bike route but have driven it and I agree , it is a great course. some parts o f the road need work and those speed bumps at the bottom in sea view could be problematic but not insurmountable. If the wind is in the right direction I think the times are going to be great improved from last year. At 1600 metres elevation I don't think its a deal breaker persoenally.

Lots of guys have flatly said they refuse to do it unless the bike course reverts to old 3 lapper or is changed. there are a number of reasons including safety etc.

you right, 2 bar is 2 bar in anyones language....

The bike course is obviously tougher just by looking at the extra elevation as compared to before. It is also harder than previously if it blows east as you are now 'exposed' along the coast for a longer period of time.

I did not find the road surface that bad but I used a normal roadbike with a bit lower tyre pressure, maybe it is a bit harder on the tribike okes. Saw more bottles lying around than previous years.

A little secret I think I will share:

Get a 25mm front tyre for your bike. You can run a lower tyre pressure (95PSI vs 115). It makes an enormous difference on the last 20km along the beach which is a very rough surface. Seriously reduces the vibration and shoulder fatigue. Believe it or not, a 25mm tyre has 50% more air in it than a 23mm. 

Probably the best equipment decision I ever made.

Even better to have front and rear but quite a few frames won't tolerate a 25mm on the rear. You have to test is under load, not just an unloaded spin.

Archived