Muggings at Blue Lagoon in Durban

Dazshell

Hi guys.  Just a heads-up that there seems to be a gang hitting cyclists crossing the bridge at Blue Lagoon in Durban.  One of our East Coast Cycling Club members was attacked on Sunday morning at 05:15 and lost his cell phone and then another cyclist was attacked by 2 guys with pangas last night at 17:50.  Please be careful and only ride in this area if you have someone with you.

Thanks for the heads-up!

We have been largely spared these attacks - was only a matter of time, I guess.

Bummer.

:thumbdown:

Argh this annoys me... looks like Metro Police need to beef up the security on that part of the cycle lane.

Sorry to hear - seems to be happening more and more in KZN these day - Metro cops have been policing the cycle lane down there (fining cars for driving in the cycle lane) but further down towards Kings Park.

Metro on the beachfront is pretty jacked up, have you guys contacted them and alerted them to the problem?

I called the telephone number and advised them. They undertook to look into it. Fingers crossed! Maybe more hubbers can call them as well?

• 4 months later...

2 more muggings!  Both just over the Blue Lagoon bridge on the north side of the cycle path.

One yesterday around 6.30am.  Just got the guy's Camelback, but stuck a knife in his ribs.  Luckily not hurt 

Another one this morning, same time.  Only got his backpack.  Unfortunately smacked him up a bit.

Be careful and DO NOT ride here alone at ANY time.  These bastids jump out the bush and disappear before anyone can react.

Not enough.  Until they put a proper fence up to stop the guys jumping out of the bush, this will keep happening.  Especially when it is dark.

As for riding down to the Bird Park in the dark....forget it!

Guys I'm busy getting The Daily News to run a article on this. Kindly ask anyone that has been affected by this to contact me on 0832764397 Anton van Wyk.

Not enough. Until they put a proper fence up to stop the guys jumping out of the bush, this will keep happening. Especially when it is dark.

As for riding down to the Bird Park in the dark....forget it!

So where are they being mugged? directly after the bridge or around the corner towards the bird park?

So where are they being mugged? directly after the bridge or around the corner towards the bird park?

Seems to be on the corner where the bushes are just before/after the "gatehouse" on the bridge.  The guy this morning got nailed just after the rumble strips on the road.

Archived