Crankset Opinions

"Go Big"

Good day Everyone,

I need your input,

1) Your opinion on Compact cracks compare to a standard 53' - 39'

2) Can I replace my cassette with a Shimano 105 cassette and chaing if my Crankset is a Ultegra 10 speed

1) I changed from an entry level FSA crankset to a SRAM crankset with new BB, carbon cranks etc... The change was incredible. However, i did drop the compact for a standard small blade.  Im fairly fit, so I dont miss my spinning crank at all, BUT, throw a steeper climb than kloof, or maybe just after winter, i do believe I will want my compact crank back.  i have every intention to get a compact crank in the future, its fairly cheap and easy to replace.

2) Yes you can.  They all compatible, Tiagra, Ultegra, Dura-Ace, 105, as long as they the same speed.  Did this myself.

I rode standard cranks for years, in the mistaken belief that compacts are only for weaker riders. Last year I changed one bike just to try. Since then I have changed every bike I own to compact cranks.

Much easier on the climbs, no noticeable difference on the flats, and I generally feel much better at the end of a ride using compacts.

The higher cadence took a bit of getting used to, but now it is no problem. I won't go back to standard cranks easily.

The answer to point 2 is yes.

1) Your opinion on Compact cracks compare to a standard 53' - 39'

There are a few factors to consider when choosing.  Age, fitness, topography where you ride, normal cadence etc.  I put on a compact to do the SA Nationals last year and haven't taken it off.  With a 50/34 and 25/11 cassette it just gives a few more options when climbing under pressure.  Since then I have only missed the 53 ring on the 11 ONCE! (Closing on the bunch downhill)  Your 50 and 11 combination is almost the same as 53 - 12, so you don't loose too much on that end anyway.  The advantages with the 34 far outweigh the top end loss (for me).

I would like a 52/36 as well but they are hens teeth.  My training bike still has the 53/39 on and I am looking for a compact to replace it with.  I spent last weekend at Golden Gate Park and those climbs on the 39 put my heart rate through the roof!

Do a google search for opinions on compact vs std. Its not as clear cut as it appears.

Personally I care more about my gearing at the extreme ends of the range so don't feel much for 50/34.

I also prefer to have a 14T jump on the chainset to assist the front derailleur achieve the best shifting possible so 50/36 would be better.

52/36 is a 16T jump as well but it would be my choice due to improved gearing range.

all things considered, personally I'd rather just use a 12-28 on the back with a 53/39

Edited by GoLefty!!

Compact all the way! 

If uphills is your battle why not have the right tools to make it a bit easier. 

Obviously the more hill repeats you do the stronger you going to get. 

The idea with compact is that you can tackle a hill and come on top less strained. 

I have a mid compact 52 36. The 52 is big enough for the sprints and downhills and the 36 for the hills. The 50 34 I ran out of gears and the 53 39 I could cope but the 52 36 is perfect for me.

Do a google search for opinions on compact vs std. Its not as clear cut as it appears.

Personally I care more earing at the extreme ends of the range so don't fel much for 50/34.

I also prefer to have a 14T jump on the chainset to assist the front derailleur achieve the best shifting possible so 50/36 would be better.

52/36 is a 16T jump as well but it would be my choice improved gearing range.

personally I'd rather just use a 12-28 on the back with a 53/39

I have never noticed any shifting difference on the front between the 53/39 and 50/34.  I also prefer the the spread over the 25/11 cassette rather than the 28/12.  The Shimano 28 drops to 24 which left me "between gears" the last time the Jock took in Boulders climb. The 39/28 gives you 3m per crank revolution and the 34/25 gives you 2.9m - just a 2% difference so not much in it.  Most of a race I spend on the 50 so you basically ride a 1 x 10, which is smoother over the lesser hills even 'though you probably end up wearing your chain faster.

I have never noticed any shifting difference on the front between the 53/39 and 50/34.  I also prefer the the spread over the 25/11 cassette rather than the 28/12.  The Shimano 28 drops to 24 which left me "between gears" the last time the Jock took in Boulders climb. The 39/28 gives you 3m per crank revolution and the 34/25 gives you 2.9m - just a 2% difference so not much in it.  Most of a race I spend on the 50 so you basically ride a 1 x 10, which is smoother over the lesser hills even 'though you probably end up wearing your chain faster.

a clear example why the decision between compact , mid compact and standard is not as simple as looking at numbers. You also got to feel how it rides.

yeah I'm struggling to decide whether I should stick with a 53/39 and 11/25 or go compact. I cycle mostly mouille point to noordhoek so lots of climbing. And I always shift to 39-25 when climbing chappies and suikerbossie.

I very seldom crank it in 53-11 and when I do my legs scream for mercy.

I have a 13-27 Cassette but I'm worried I might loose speed in a race.

Any advice?

yeah I'm struggling to decide whether I should stick with a 53/39 and 11/25 or go compact. I cycle mostly mouille point to noordhoek so lots of climbing. And I always shift to 39-25 when climbing chappies and suikerbossie.

Any advice?

I've recently changed to compact  50-34 11-25, my speed change on the flats is so small it doesn't warrant a mention. However my climbing speed has improved dramatically, no more grinding on the 7-8% gradients.

Edited by Starvin' Marvin

Any advice?

If you climbing Chappies and Suikerbssie in the 39-25 then I doubt keeping up with the bunch on a flat race with a 53-13 is going to be a problem. Most club racers will just about get to a 53-13 in a sprint.