Capetown Cycle Tour Advice needed

Heritage1

Hi Everyone,

I live in Dubai where we have no hills worth speaking of.  I am coming to SA for the Capetown Cycle Tour (Argus) and need some advice on crank and cassettes.  I have 11 speed Ultegra with a standard crank (53/39). I have already decided to change the cassette from a 11-25 to a 11-28, but would it be helpful to change the chain ring/s as well?

Hi,

A 39-28 ratio will see you over what climbs we have to offer. I am no race snake, but I can scale Chappies and Suikerbossie with relative ease, using a 39-25 ratio.

F.Y.I running up stairs uses the same muscles needed for climbing. Last time I checked you guys had some tall structures in Dubai.

Good luck :)

It depends on your fitness level - if you have been training into the wind on the flat it's as good as doing hills. Personally I don't think you need anything other than a 28 at the back (even just a 25 at the back should suffice as there are no real heavy inclines to deal with cept suikerbossie's last kick)

Would it be helpful to change the chain ring/s as well?

The question is to you on whether you can handle strong wind with your current chain-ring selections...

Hi Everyone, I live in Dubai where we have no hills worth speaking of. I am coming to SA for the Capetown Cycle Tour (Argus) and need some advice on crank and cassettes. I have 11 speed Ultegra with a standard crank (53/39). I have already decided to change the cassette from a 11-25 to a 11-28, but would it be helpful to change the chain ring/s as well?

Hi Heritage, I have actually done exactly that and yes, it has helped me very much. The steepest part of the course is a 40pm section at 10% up Edinburgh drive close the beginning where it is great to hold your group. Otherwise it is only 7% up the other climbs. 53-39,11-28

Hi Heritage, I have actually done exactly that and yes, it has helped me very much. The steepest part of the course is a 40pm section at 10% up Edinburgh drive close the beginning where it is great to hold your group. Otherwise it is only 7% up the other climbs. 53-39,11-28

Thanks Everyone. Much appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I live in Dubai where we have no hills worth speaking of.  I am coming to SA for the Capetown Cycle Tour (Argus) and need some advice on crank and cassettes.  I have 11 speed Ultegra with a standard crank (53/39). I have already decided to change the cassette from a 11-25 to a 11-28, but would it be helpful to change the chain ring/s as well?

Thats more than enough low gears, don't stress ;)

Hi

I'm not a racing snake by any means but do have the luxury and privilege of riding the cape coastline regularly have 53/39 and have changed rear to 11-28 from 12-25 and it's helped me tremendously to get over whatever is thrown at me.

You will be fine, the hills may not be the concern it's the south Easter ( wind) that you should prepare for.

Good luck.

Archived