Dog Bite

SCD

I have teeth tattoo's now on both ankles.  Bitten twice in one year just riding along on my bike. Also a Yorkie the first time.

Every ride is now an emotional battle trusting dogs.  The other day an owner told me to kick her dog in a attempt to teach it not to bite cyclists.  Another owner thinks its hilarious as she watches her Yorkie chase down cyclists on the Spruit. 

I know these debates have been going on for years but it is not right.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First two shots done. Vaccine and some immuno something. No chances. Little jab, no big deal. The cost is less than for other things we spend on our bikes....

I have teeth tattoo's now on both ankles.  Bitten twice in one year just riding along on my bike. Also a Yorkie the first time.

Every ride is now an emotional battle trusting dogs.  The other day an owner told me to kick her dog in a attempt to teach it not to bite cyclists.  Another owner thinks its hilarious as she watches her Yorkie chase down cyclists on the Spruit. 

I know these debates have been going on for years but it is not right.

If you look closely at workers who commute on bikes, you'll notice that some of them have sjamboks on the top tube, with the skinny end out the back......Tsotsi and biting dogs can be taught a few tricks. One shot with the sjambok and the Yorkie (stoepkakker deluxe) won't ever do it again. (Yes, I know the owner should be getting the whipping)

Your opinion is not current proffessional medical opinion on dog bite treatment, and I urge the OP to be a little more cautious.

Definately a tetanus shot if you have not had one in the last 5 years

Clean the wound professionally - especially if it is deep

Disinfect - properly

Close the wound - stitches if neccesary, glue or tape if minor.

If the dog looks well cared for:

Call ALL the vets in the surrounding areas and ask them what the incidence of rabies in the area has been - than make a call in conjunction with your treating doc, based on that if you want to do the rabies shots too.

If the dog looks wild and uncared for - then call vets and spca's locally and make a call on the rabies - again in consultation with your treating doc.

If you don't go with the rabies shots - educate yourself on the symptoms and seek treatment if you develop some of them.

Edit - and 1 other thing - the owner of the dog should fund all your medical expenses - dogs have to be on a leash when not at home in most cities - municipal bylaw.

Common law - delict - actio de pauperie

so, you're saying that the size of the dog is correlated with the likelihood of infection or tetanus?

that's just DOF.

You are the dof one I never said the size of dog is a factor now go stand in the corner and think about what you have done.

Happened to me once before. I have decided that if it happens again the owner is going to be very sorry they didn't have their animal on a leash. It is just like bad parenting. You should need licenses to own a pet.

You do. All pets must be registered with the city of Cape Town. I have 1 cat and 2 dogs registered. Fish dont need to be.

You do. All pets must be registered with the city of Cape Town. I have 1 cat and 2 dogs registered. Fish dont need to be.

I'm sure if you kept a great white or something of a bity nature like that you would need a license.

Archived