Seatpost MTB Advice

The Riding Realtor

Morning!

I need a new seat post for my Scott 29er. Mine decided to bend this weekend over at Welvanpas.

31.6/400

My question... I see Ryder ones for R280, and other brands all the way up to R3000.

For a guy on a tight budget at the moment, do I save up for a better one? Or do these Ryder ones do the trick?

Morning! I need a new seat post for my Scott 29er. Mine decided to bend this weekend over at Welvanpas. 31.6/400 My question... I see Ryder ones for R280, and other brands all the way up to R3000. For a guy on a tight budget at the moment, do I save up for a better one? Or do these Ryder ones do the trick?

Have a look at rapide.co.za.

They have excellent quality seatposts and other parts as well.

I have a couple Ryder components on my bike and have no complaints.  They really do save the wallet..

Thompson is pretty good, I paid about 900 for my extra length setback post.. extra thickness where it counts etc.

save up and buy a dropper post, get a 30.9 with a shim and you can move post if you buy a new bike, use the drop on the descents and you can thank me for the rest of your riding life!!!!

The Ryder seatpost will do exactly the same thing as the R3 000 seat posts. Don't waste your money on anything more expensive than that.

If there is a difference, it's probably in the weight and you will find that difference is only a few grams

At the risk of getting lynched for the noob question... What is a dropper post?

A seat post that can be lowered and raised on the fly, usually with a lever attached to the handlebar, but sometimes with one located under the seat.

A very useful piece of kit that is becoming very popular.

A seat post that can be lowered and raised on the fly, usually with a lever attached to the handlebar, but sometimes with one located under the seat.

A very useful piece of kit that is becoming very popular.

Fantastic, thank you! What a brilliant piece of kit. I think I might not be at a skill level yet to properly utilise one but it's definitely something to look at come upgrade time...

Skill has no impact on having a dropper. Going downhill dropping seat helps a lot for getting lower and weight over rear wheel. Many times this is neglected due to effort of getting off and adjusting.

Fantastic, thank you! What a brilliant piece of kit. I think I might not be at a skill level yet to properly utilise one but it's definitely something to look at come upgrade time...

If anything it will help develop skills quicker and easier.

Archived