Bike Computers???

keith

Hey guys when buying a bike computer is there anything specific I should be looking for or is a cheap one from Mr Price Sports ok? Thanks!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

buy right the 1st time, get a Polar 725 and get it over with imho, will end up saving a couple of hundred <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Rands this way.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

All depends on what you want to do with the thing.

If all that you want is the distance and max and ave speeds then you can go cheap. But you can still get cheap and get much better then Mr Price. I payed about R160 for my Sigma.

Just make sure it has the basics: speed, distance, average speed, time etc. Most of them do, even the cheaper ones. Cadence is important to some people, but this adds quite a bit to the price.

The most important function for me is the ability to start/stop the device manually. There is nothing worse than going over the finish line and your timer is starts running ever time you move the bike. I've looked a plenty of them and Cateye seems to be the only one that offers this function. I doubt Mr Price will sell Cateye though.

Not joking, I have an old(very very old) AVOCET 30. I love it, and its never wrong...and the functions are so basic!!

But I'd say get a CATEYE...they are not too pricey, and they do last..

Thanks guys I'll have a look around. Just saw a cheap one at Mr Price and wondered if they were any good. I'm just looking for it to read distance and min/max speed.Smile

jaja, most of us start out buying something cheap / basic, then our needs become more, now we want to see our Cadence as well, so buy one with a Cadence function, only thing is the damn wiring looks messy, so you go out and buy one without the wires, sweet, all good and well, but wait, the wireless one gets all kinda interference when riding close to power lines, so chuck it to the side and finally spend the R2k, no more problems since you get HR reading, it even has a Power Meter thingy if you decide to go that route later on.

Marius2008-03-27 07:38:27

I've already got a cool heart rate monitor so spending two grand might be a bit of a wasteWink I'll find a resonably priced one that serves its function wellBig%20smile Shot for the advice though Marius!

Dude, more buttons, flashing lights and cool sounding 'beeps' are what you should be looking for!!!

Should I pimp my handlebars GreyowlBig%20smile The shinier and more reflective the betterWink