Sports photography :MTB

delko

Hi Guys.

I would just like to know, if there is anyone here with some experience in sports photography, or event photography.

I basicly would just like some pointers on the sport photography, I am quite keen to shoot a MTB event.

Like more of the admin/logistics of these photography dicipline..

But I was thinking about going to say redbarn on a saterday or so and perhaps arranging with some experienced riders and ask permission to photograph them, and trying some thing as a practise run?

Does one normaly need to arrange with the venue and I assume pay an entrance fee aswell,like redbarn?

And if it is a race, get permission from the organizers?

Lastly, any ideas how to go about moving around on the location to cover different part of the route/trail?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out Ben Berg photography on face book. He is one of the best there is at action sports photography in SA. Send him a message, sure he will give you some advise.

Thank you :)

If there is anyone keen to be part of a photopgraphy experiment on you mountain bike please let me know via a PM :)

What do you currently know about photography? Can I assume you know all about the balancing act between ISO, shutter speed and aperture to get a correct exposure? Are you familiar with shutter speed and how it is used to freeze or blur action and how panning works with moving objects? Do you understand the effect of aperture on depth of field? How familiar are you with optics? Do you know how your distance to an object affects perspective?

These are the basics so if you know and can empty them instinctively you can start to use them creatively in sport photography.

Don't get me wrong. I am not assuming that you are not an expert but you asked for advice and you say you would like to shoot a sport event, I assume for money. I am just trying to find out what you know.

I'm a keen photographer and am happy to meet up sometime and play with some shots. What rig/setup do you have? 

Depending on what you shooting with will make a big difference as to how you approach your shots and your shoot as a whole.

Couple of things to keep in mind :

- Are you shooting commercially or not ? (meaning are you planning to sell the images afterwards). Some events grant exclusivity to 'togs and if so you will be stepping on some toes if you try sell the images afterwards and thats not the way to earn your stripes

- Best is to approach the event owners beforehand and request media accreditation or at least permission to shoot at their event

- XCO is one of the easiest as the riders pass you regularly..so if you miss them at one spot there is a good chance of catching them again or at a different spot

- stay off the course when the racing is going on ! Interfere with the racing by being in the way and you will get taken out or chased out...

- If you not accredited or known to the event owners then dont walk around as if you own the place

- Crashes make for great actions pics...but respect the rider! getting in close to shoot a bleeding knee is very different to a rider with a smashed up face. 

- remember there is more than just racing going on ...look around and you will find plenty of other opportunities for great images

- wear comfy clothing..its hard work! Hat, sunscreen and decent shoes cause you will be walking..and running...a LOT! 

I shoot a lot of MTB, including UCI World Cup/Champs over the last 3 years. PM me for anything else..happy to help. 

Been doing this for over ten years now. Filming and stills photography on technical, news/editorial, lifestyle/sports and commercial.

Broadly speaking,

Public events, you are free to photograph as you please for editorial use. Newspaper, magazine, online etc .

You cannot however sell or use those images for commercial gain without permission of the people being photographed. ESPECIALLY minors. 
Either way, seek the guidance of the organiser and let them know. Accreditation is there for various reasons. 

The idea of practicing with a group of riders is a good place to start. Just be sure to let the owner or person responsible for the trails know that you're there and promise not to disrupt any riders.

Depending on the event and what you're covering, the best way to get around is on foot, cycle or motorbike.

Right now, don't stress too much with what system or gear you're using. Get the basics and understanding of manual functions right first. 

Hi guys,

I really love what I am hearing,alot of guys with knowledge and experience :)

Please look here it might showcase some work done before.

https://www.facebook.com/ShootingSmilesPhoto

I am not looking to make money out of this, its purely as a hobby as mountainbiking, getting out and doing something enjoyable.I dont neccesaraly want to sell the photos afterwards,and definitly want to obey the rules of accreditation.

It might be easier to look at local less popular events and ask the organizers for permission. And then see how things progresses trying to avoid events that have dedicated event photographers.

I shoot with a Canon 60d, I have a 70-200 f2.8 Canon L that i would like to use.

I ussualy use one or two external flases an trigger them remotely via a wireless transmitter.

I ussualy shoot in manual , or aperture priority.

I do understand the meaning of depth of field and the exposure triangle.

I have some experience in panning and have taken some satisfying shots.

I am not a expert, I dont think I take good pictures im noble and I am not expecting this decipline of photography to be easy, really I would just like to get some sport photography done for fun and try it out.

One again, the equiptment means nothing,You have to show you know how to use it,

Thank you for the guys giving offers to take me out on a shoot and do some shots ect, will really love that and will take those up, on their offers.

At the moment the whole process to get shooting sports at events is new to me so I thought It would be best to first here some thought, talk to the simmiliar minded people like those on this thread.

Thank you for all the replies :)

70-200 I had was always to long. Most shots that were semi good were shot with a 18-55 mm lens and some With a 1.8 50mm lens.

One thing, watch where you stand. A cyclist on the last sprint needs space to stop.

And take a trip with the guys. Always cool to meet fellow cyclists on the shooting spree

I reckon if you went to a place like Groenkloof, paid entry and sat at a few places on a weekend you could get multiple chances to take good pics. Maybe leave a pamphlet with your details at the gate or under the wipers so people can get hold of you if they want you to email them a pic or three

Yeah I would be keen to get a pic or two and not pay the earth for it, I would be doing my bit for your development, riding MTB [emoji16]

So let's organise a meetup sometime.  Along the Spruit might be cool and we can spend time on photo and video stuff.  I'm always keen for that.

70-200 I had was always to long. Most shots that were semi good were shot with a 18-55 mm lens and some With a 1.8 50mm lens.

One thing, watch where you stand. A cyclist on the last sprint needs space to stop.

And take a trip with the guys. Always cool to meet fellow cyclists on the shooting spree

50mm 1.8 is my weapon of choice.  Awesome lens

70-200 2.8 for the rock gardens...so I can stay safely away

50mm 1.8 for the close ups

and a 18-105 for prizegiving/randoms

Think RH will be a cool place to do a shoot as well.

Shot a few on my iPhone on the last visit.

post-686-1426102103,8963.jpg

(My mom doing some single track navigation...)

So let's organise a meetup sometime.  Along the Spruit might be cool and we can spend time on photo and video stuff.  I'm always keen for that.

I am very keen,

I also have a nifty fifty, 50mm f1.8 .

Thank you for all the replies I am really exited now.

Archived