Trail set up for longer rides

cadenceblur

Hi guys

Need some Hub wisdom!

I currently have a trail focused set on my bike as I have generally been engaging in shorter trail orientated rides in Tokai, so wide riser bars, short ish stem with quite a few spacers below the stem. I, however will be doing a lot more longer rides in the coming months i.e. Amarider, Knysna, W2W etc. So time in the saddle will be greatly increased. My question is, is there any merit in changing to a flat bar and dropping the stem etc? I also do a fair amount of road riding so am accustomed to the more "aggressive" set up. I know it will make the climbing somewhat easier.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

i won't change anything, unless maybe the 1x10 if you are going to ride really long steep climbs.  i'm also planning a longish non-technical 4-day bike tour in the karoo in a months time and have a very similar setup to you.  contrary to popular belief, the ability to cycle fast is still 98% in your legs and your lungs.

Indeed, it's just that I can recall climbing a bit easier with my previous bike, a Scott Scale with zero stack and a flat bar. Thanks for the input.

To maximize power it is probably best to get a proper bike setup done. I did that and it did seem to help. (Although I didn't listen to the 120mm stem setup.)

I also did w2w on a 1x10 so I would stick with that. My partner did it on a single speed so 10 gears is enough.

Haha! Yeag to be honest I wouldn't change a thing. If youre comfortable then keep it like that. If you have trouble keeping the front down on climbs then take one spacer off and put it above the stem rather than below. But that's all I'd suggest. Moving to a flat bar would essentially be the same as removing 1 or 2 spacers anyway so don't waste your cash on that.

Otherwise enjoy!

I think I will give the spacer a shot! @ porqui, sadly another bike isn't an option! Current bike is quite versatile imo, just being my pedantic self [emoji3]