Bailey69

Morning I am new to cycling. I would like to start cycling mainly mountain biking. I have know idea where to start or what bike to buy. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Hi and welcome,

There are a few things to consider:

What type of riding do you think you will be doing? (cross country, downhill, etc.) If your friends are riding, this is probably what you will end up doing most of the time. 

What budget do you have? My general thoughts are start off with a good entry level 26er hard tail in the region of R5k (look in the classified for good deals, but maybe ask someone with experience to make sure you dont get ripped off). And you must realise that once the bug bites, you will want to upgrade. But by then you will have an idea what riding you do most and can spend the money knowing you getting the right thing.

Avoid macro/game bikes at all cost. They will make you quit cycling.

Remember to save some budget for accessories. Helmet, golves, shoes, water bottle, cycling tool kit, puncture repair kit, tubes, etc.

Morning I am new to cycling. I would like to start cycling mainly mountain biking. I have know idea where to start or what bike to buy. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

You are in the right area! I went to DHS in the 80's (before getting expelled as the PT teacher called me a moffie for horse riding and I took issue with that!), lived in Hattingspruit and Dannhauser. I suppose you nearest decent shop would be Newcastle? Is there a group of riders you can join in the area?

Assuming you are starting out as a social rider with friends and such, I recon a hard tail (only front shocks which saves you weight and $$$) MTB could be the way to go.

Also you will see talk of 26er, 29er and 650b (27.5). Thats the size of the wheels and the jury is very much out on which is best. Once again, if you are riding socially, second hand 26er could be the way to go as they are not as popular as the other options and thus don't have great resale.

Next up, the factors of how much you are looking to spend and your size would come into play.

There are but they have been doing it for years so don't want to look like a complete idiot when I join them????

Newcastle is my closest shop. I have a budget of about 4k.

I mainly want to start for fitness purposes so I suppose cross country at this stage would be an option.

I'm a bit more adventurous than road cycling and like challenges. That is why I think mountain biking might be a better option for me.

I'm average height of 184 and sturdy in weight 100 kg but want to get down to 85 kg.

Silverback? So many options but due to my lack of knowledge I'm sceptical to buy.

There are but they have been doing it for years so don't want to look like a complete idiot when I join them

Newcastle is my closest shop. I have a budget of about 4k.

I mainly want to start for fitness purposes so I suppose cross country at this stage would be an option.

I'm a bit more adventurous than road cycling and like challenges. That is why I think mountain biking might be a better option for me.

With that budget the suggestions for a used 26 make a lot of sense, you will get much more for your money than if you buy new.

I'm not sure of your area but something like this - 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/125828-gt-avalanche-20/

Edit - And don't worry about looking like an idiot because it will happen at some point, just reconcile yourself with that now.

I'm average height of 184 and sturdy in weight 100 kg but want to get down to 85 kg.

Silverback? So many options but due to my lack of knowledge I'm sceptical to buy.

Silverback, GT and Merida are my favourite in that entry level band, but scott, momsen, titan, are all good options. Often its about getting the best components for your money.

Will definitely be looking in to those. Busy checking out used bikes on line. There is just such a variety.

Large 29er or 650b... Although you will probably have to spend more than R4,000. Don't worry about brands names, rather focus on the spec of components.

I rode a GT Avalanche 1 for a good few years (still in my office for when the DS breaks down!), great bike, a little heavy but it didn't matter as I was almost 110kgs! I now ride a 26in Trance and love it, weight is now around 92kg.

A friend recently bought a well looked after 26in Anthem for R7k. Just make sure someone knowledgeable helps you if you are looking around at the 2nd hand market...

silverback is good value for money spent. 

Archived