ITU Cape Town 25-26 April 2015

Tau

How many of you will be braving the cold Atlantic and the South easter? This will be my first Full Olympic distance Tri. I hope to survive the swim, enjoy the cycle and then push the run. I suppose the wind will decide if it will be a good event or a leg burner.

I am doing Individual male on Saturday.

I will see you there. My first swim in the cold CT water as well. Good luck with your race and have a good one.

Last year was cold but they shortened the swim to 750m the short run to transition was awkward on very numb feet. It was a good event I'm looking forward to doing it again.

• 4 weeks later...

The olympic swim was cancelled due to 9 degree water temp. Still an awesome event. Huge thanks to Discovery for catering for the team vitality guys... makes it worth while to join... [emoji106]

Any suggestions on spectator points for today? Haven't looked through the info, but would dig to watch the start, and then a single spot for ride /run.could even be the finish area of they do laps there.

Got wife and two kids in a pram to limit the options too!

I believe a competitor passed away at the event ...RIP

Edit: http://ewn.co.za/2015/04/27/Athlete-dies-during-triathlon-series

I saw this last night. May he RIP.

I find it quite disappointing that the event organisers have been so absolutely silent on this. There is no mention of it on their website, facebook page or twitter feed as of last night.

I see TSA have a short statement on their site.

Don't let any sad news get in the way of the media juggernaut.

So different to the tributes IMSA paid to the two athletes lost in 2013.

Event organiser Iain Banner : "Tragically, a male athlete was urgently in need of assistance and emergency services removed the athlete from the water, he was 10 metres from finishing to swim. He was taken to hospital and tragically passed away. Unfortunately that’s put a damper to what was otherwise an outstanding event."

This is priceless in its indifference and insensitivity, 

JUSSIS OKES!

this was a flippen awesome event to go and watch. We got to the greenpoint underground circle a bit late, but got all 8 laps of the elite men bike course.

Shifted over to the new(old) athletics stadium, saw the transition and then the 5 run laps. You could get so close to the athletes, 'specially on the run where they would blast past in a single file right on the barriers to cut the corner.

PLUS they had a beergarden and spur vibe in the middle of the track too. Spur vibe = jumping castle so dad can watch the fun.

a remarkable performance of the day had to be drikus coetzee from Nam, got dropped on the swim/early bike and charged on his eis the whole way. would have been so easy to pack in but he kept on going to the finish.

JUSSIS OKES!

this was a flippen awesome event to go and watch. We got to the greenpoint underground circle a bit late, but got all 8 laps of the elite men bike course.

Shifted over to the new(old) athletics stadium, saw the transition and then the 5 run laps. You could get so close to the athletes, 'specially on the run where they would blast past in a single file right on the barriers to cut the corner.

PLUS they had a beergarden and spur vibe in the middle of the track too. Spur vibe = jumping castle so dad can watch the fun.

a remarkable performance of the day had to be drikus coetzee from Nam, got dropped on the swim/early bike and charged on his eis the whole way. would have been so easy to pack in but he kept on going to the finish.

I have to agree.. Drikus jou yster!

I was also suprised to be informed by someone up here in GP while sitting at the CT airport on Monday about the guy who passed away on Sunday... RIP fellow athlete and all the best to his family.

Watched the race live on BBC, boring cycle but an exceptional run.

Sorry but I think its stupid hosting the event where the water is so cold, aren't there warmer places to swim in or near CT?

Sorry but I think its stupid hosting the event where the water is so cold, aren't there warmer places to swim in or near CT?

not always that cold. but ja, two years in a row now that it's been chilly on race day

I agree, the water temp is a problem, last year the swim was shortened due to the cold. The cycle is also a bit of a dog show, not a great course for the large AG field. The organisers have chosen to showcase a fantastic venue rather than a good race course

Event organiser Iain Banner : "Tragically, a male athlete was urgently in need of assistance and emergency services removed the athlete from the water, he was 10 metres from finishing to swim. He was taken to hospital and tragically passed away. Unfortunately that’s put a damper to what was otherwise an outstanding event."

This is priceless in its indifference and insensitivity, 

From EWN "Event organiser Iain Banner said the athlete was not that far from finishing the race."

Another insensitive throw away line, unless he was in a team he still had the bike and run to complete.

And still no further information.

From EWN "Event organiser Iain Banner said the athlete was not that far from finishing the race."

Another insensitive throw away line, unless he was in a team he still had the bike and run to complete.

And still no further information.

I wonder if the water temperature played a role?

I don't like to speculate in these circumstances but I can recall doing a few ice cold swim tri's and struggling to breathe, amongst other things

Archived