Pyga Oneten29

Rogernic

Hi Guys.

Looking at getting the Pyga Oneten29. Test rode their standard build. I found the 1 by 11 a bit limited for my weight (105kg) (on the trails I'd often ride it's quite hilly out near Sabie). It was  great on the spruit (but not much climbing). Thought a 2x10 XT would be a better option. So looking at just the frame and add from there!

Besides that i thought a longer travel shock, looking at the Pike (140mm travel), would be a good option since although I do the odd stage race (Joberg2c coming up) most of my time would be spent on 50 to 70 km rides around Sabie / Pilgrims / Magalies etc. Any comments.... would the Pike be overkill (it's not cheap)?

Currently have a GT sensor 26", love the trails etc. but moving on to a 29're, and the linkages get noisy with fair bit of bob even with the pro-pedal

Appreciate any comments from Oneten29 owners......

All the best.

Roger.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would running 140mm front with 110mm rear suspension not unbalance the bike quite a bit?

Regardless, I think you should seriously consider the Rockshox Revelation range, and if you can the RCT3 version.  Rode one the other day and it's an amazing fork for the 120mm-140mm range.

Personally I would go Revelation RCT3 at 130mm.

Not sure what they price but certainly cheaper than Pikes.

Great choice. I've had a OneTen 29 since Feb and loving it.

As far as I know, there is no "standard build" for the Pyga, as the company only sells frames. So the world is your oyster as far as components is concerned. I would recommend 2 x 10 at least. I transferred my 1 x 10 from my 26er, and I find I'm struggling on the steep stuff. Some people actually prefer a 3 x setup for trail bikes as they prefer the wider range offered.

From the feedback I've seen, the Pike is the perfect fork for this bike if you can afford it. I'm saving up for one at the end of this year. I recommend a more trail orientated fork, as I have an 100mm XC fork on mine (Fox) and it's definitely the "weak point" of my build.

Have a look through this thread: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/119246-post-your-pyga/for some ideas on build.

Good luck with the build.

Also don't forget about X-Fusion's Trace.  I run one on my trail bike, and although it is unsophisticated (only rebound and a lock-out) I've never felt I need to fiddle with damping in any event.  The fork is stiction free and has been for a year now.

Would running 140mm front with 110mm rear suspension not unbalance the bike quite a bit?

Regardless, I think you should seriously consider the Rockshox Revelation range, and if you can the RCT3 version.  Rode one the other day and it's an amazing fork for the 120mm-140mm range.

Personally I would go Revelation RCT3 at 130mm.

Not sure what they price but certainly cheaper than Pikes.

Pyga recommend 110mm to 140mm travel, so the balance should be fine. Might even be 150mm.

Pyga recommend 110mm to 140mm travel, so the balance should be fine. Might even be 150mm.

Ok, well then I would go for the 140mm.  This should slacken HA to 68.5'ish degrees.

Still, if cost is an issue I would look to the Revelation RCT3 or Trace, both which can be run at 140.  The Trace has 34mm stancions vs the 32mm of the Revelation and the Unicrown crown and steeres so it is very stiff, but the Revelation's damping is pretty amazing.

If cost is not an issue, then Pike, everyday, all day.

Don't go anything less than 140mm. And I would suggest looking at an MRP (Bibi sells them). I will be upgrading to one when bonus season comes around again (currently have a Revelation)...

Also keep the stem as short as possible..

Tom

Great choice. I've had a OneTen 29 since Feb and loving it.

As far as I know, there is no "standard build" for the Pyga, as the company only sells frames. So the world is your oyster as far as components is concerned. I would recommend 2 x 10 at least. I transferred my 1 x 10 from my 26er, and I find I'm struggling on the steep stuff. Some people actually prefer a 3 x setup for trail bikes as they prefer the wider range offered.

From the feedback I've seen, the Pike is the perfect fork for this bike if you can afford it. I'm saving up for one at the end of this year. I recommend a more trail orientated fork, as I have an 100mm XC fork on mine (Fox) and it's definitely the "weak point" of my build.

Have a look through this thread: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/119246-post-your-pyga/for some ideas on build.

Good luck with the build.

You can purchase a frame on its own or with a build kit: X01, Revelation, Spank Oozy wheels, Reverb, Kore cockpit.

You can purchase a frame on its own or with a build kit: X01, Revelation, Spank Oozy wheels, Reverb, Kore cockpit.

sweet trail bike right there,nice dude.

OK. Wasn't aware of that. Sounds like a sweet build as well. Rough cost for the build?

OK. Wasn't aware of that. Sounds like a sweet build as well. Rough cost for the build?

R52k

Btw, Avid Guide brakes

Don't go anything less than 140mm. And I would suggest looking at an MRP (Bibi sells them). I will be upgrading to one when bonus season comes around again (currently have a Revelation)...

Also keep the stem as short as possible..

Tom

I know we missed last Friday, but come now...

Up to what size fork does the Oneten frame carry a guarantee

EG my SC frame only carry's a guarantee up to 120mm

HEY Rogernic

my 10 cents for what its worth....

i rate it all boils down to what you will mostly be using the bike for and your riding style.

I have the 110 29er with pike at 140mm, reverb dropper, 800mm spank bars, industry nine trail wheelset, 1x10 xt setup std 11-36 ratio with MRP chainguide bolted to iscg adpator......

that list right there pretty much spells what I use her for.... to thrash trails.... and she is a properly decent enduro rig too.... 

The build was decided by myself in advance based on how I ride and what I enjoy. it has not dissapointed.... not even for one second... the amount of times I have proclaimed "f##k I love this bike!!!!" after smashing a section of trail probably borders on abnormal.

if you want a more lycra friendly build for the odd marathon and classic stick with the revelation and lose the reverb to keep the scales in your favour

I have a pretty little Lynskey for when that need arises.... I have NO intention of ever racing my Pyga uphill....

whatever you do.... just buy it already.... whatever you put on it you will fall in love

post-16606-0-50491700-1428476531_thumb.jpg

Archived