Track Cycling Secunda / Evander

Does anyone have any information regarding the history of the old banked concrete cycling track outside of Secunda/Evander? It's just north of Embalenhle inside the Osizweni development centre (I'm guessing it belongs to Sasol).

It's still in fairly good condition, and if you get rid of the weeds and grass and maybe patch the concrete in a few places I'm sure it would be usable again

post-74929-0-31577500-1428604931_thumb.jpg

post-74929-0-62445000-1428604969_thumb.jpg

This can work nicely for winter training to bypass the mist or fog. I know a couple of people that would be interested.

Please keep me in the loop and will also see if I can find anything out and will let you know

Maybe approach Sasol to find out if it can be used. I never knew it existed. I will ask at the tack tomorrow if anyone knows about it. Track SA's is on at Hector Norris in JHB

Maybe approach Sasol to find out if it can be used. I never knew it existed. I will ask at the tack tomorrow if anyone knows about it. Track SA's is on at Hector Norris in JHB

As far as the condition of the track goes I can almost guarantee it is not being used. The grass inside the track seems to be used by the primary school as a athletics field from time to time.

A colleague of mine who is very involved with the Megchem Cycling club here in Secunda told me that he had heard about the track but has never been there himself. He also knows the right people at Sasol to talk to about this. I'll keep you posted if there are any developments.

I also think if there are enough interested parties we could easily fix up the track within a weekend or two, or atleast get it into the condition where we could use it for training etc. Granted that is if Sasol would allow something like that to happen.

Wie sou kon raai daar is so iets reg in ons agterplaas??post-74929-0-42747700-1428611932_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

As far as the condition of the track goes I can almost guarantee it is not being used. The grass inside the track seems to be used by the primary school as a athletics field from time to time.

A colleague of mine who is very involved with the Megchem Cycling club here in Secunda told me that he had heard about the track but has never been there himself. He also knows the right people at Sasol to talk to about this. I'll keep you posted if there are any developments.

I also think if there are enough interested parties we could easily fix up the track within a weekend or two, or atleast get it into the condition where we could use it for training etc. Granted that is if Sasol would allow something like that to happen.

Wie sou kon raai daar is so iets reg in ons agterplaas??attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Pieter. Did anything come of this ? PM me your contact details.

• 1 year later...

I never heard back from Pieter. When I asked around at Hector Norris, nobody was aware of the track.

Track looks very run down. Not sure if it can be repaired.

Just when I sell my Bianchi track bike because riding in Evanders up and downhills became problematic...I see this!

Never ever knew there had been a track here.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Shew that's very sad, it looks to be in quite a state. However, I'm sure that it represents a good opportunity as a venue for development initiatives if some work is done to it.

Archived