Thule 4-bike carrier

Jacques@ACT

I'm looking to buy a 4 bike carrier to fit on a towbar - the most obvious choice being Thule, in particular this one.

http://www.thule.com/en/za/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-hangon-9708-_-970800

Any feedback on this from people who use it?  Is there anything else which might be better and most importantly, where would I find one for a good price?

I'm based in Cape Town

Thanks

I have the exact same carrier - but for 3 bikes. It works really really well.

Some tips that I have picked up since purchasing mine a month back.

1. Pool noodles. Use them to keep the bikes from rubbing up on each other.

2. Bungy cords. Handy to lock the wheels in place.

3. Don't over tighten. When I first got it, I would stand on the spanner to ensure it was tight enough. Was at Thule Woodmead today to pickup the lock, and they told me hand tighten, then a quarter (90 degrees) turn with the spanner.

It took me a few drives to get comfortable with this carrier. I spent more time watching in my rear view mirror. But for such a simple contraption, it works brilliantly. And easy to take off and stick in the boot when you have arrived at your riding destination.

I have the exact same carrier - but for 3 bikes. It works really really well.

Some tips that I have picked up since purchasing mine a month back.

1. Pool noodles. Use them to keep the bikes from rubbing up on each other.

2. Bungy cords. Handy to lock the wheels in place.

3. Don't over tighten. When I first got it, I would stand on the spanner to ensure it was tight enough. Was at Thule Woodmead today to pickup the lock, and they told me hand tighten, then a quarter (90 degrees) turn with the spanner.

It took me a few drives to get comfortable with this carrier. I spent more time watching in my rear view mirror. But for such a simple contraption, it works brilliantly. And easy to take off and stick in the boot when you have arrived at your riding destination.

Obviously no problem with the weight of all the bikes on the rack and towbar then?

Obviously no problem with the weight of all the bikes on the rack and towbar then?

Not at all. I was very concerned about this too. Damned well engineered this carrier. All that weight sitting on the ball of your tow hitch. Damn!

I googled to see how many people had it break on them and could not find anything.

It took me a few drives to convince myself I did not have to stay in the slow lane under 100km/h :) Am confident in it now and happily sit at 128km/h in any lane.

Not at all. I was very concerned about this too. Damned well engineered this carrier. All that weight sitting on the ball of your tow hitch. Damn!

I googled to see how many people had it break on them and could not find anything.

It took me a few drives to convince myself I did not have to stay in the slow lane under 100km/h :) Am confident in it now and happily sit at 128km/h in any lane.

Very good to know, thanks.

Now for the challenge to find one for a good price.

I have the 3 bike version.

It can hold 3 bikes but then I will be stressing big time. In my opinion these things are whatever they say minus one. I can comfortably hold 2 bikes. 3 is a mission and the thing vibrates like mad.

I am not worried about the bike rack coming off, I am worried about the bikes coming off!

Another tip, if you are only it to hold 2 bikes, do not place a bike on the first and last spot only as this causes huge vibration. Put both bikes closest to the car

I have the 3 bike version.

It can hold 3 bikes but then I will be stressing big time. In my opinion these things are whatever they say minus one. I can comfortably hold 2 bikes. 3 is a mission and the thing vibrates like mad.

I am not worried about the bike rack coming off, I am worried about the bikes coming off!

Another tip, if you are only it to hold 2 bikes, do not place a bike on the first and last spot only as this causes huge vibration. Put both bikes closest to the car

Where are you noticing the vibration? In your car its-self?

I have the 3 bike carrier, and I put 3 bikes on it. Aside from slight swaying, I am not picking up any vibration.

I have the 4-bike version.  It is a mission to get 4 MTBs on.  We usually have to remove the seats on 2 of them.  3 gets on OK.  Roadies are easier to fit on this rack though. Use the strap to secure the bikes.  People have lost bikes before when the rubber fasteners come loose.

I would save money rather to get the more expensive one where the bikes sits on rails.

http://www.thule.com/en/za/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-euroclassic-g6-929-_-929000

Edited by Moridin

I have the 4-bike version.  It is a mission to get 4 MTBs on.  We usually have to remove the seats on 2 of them.  3 gets on OK.  Roadies are easier to fit on this rack though. Use the strap to secure the bikes.  People have lost bikes before when the rubber fasteners come loose.

I would save money rather to get the more expensive one where the bikes sits on rails.

I agree on the alternative carrier. Priced one at Thule on Sat, R6.5k for 3 bikes. Looks way better. Aiming towards that now.

With the current hanging carrier, I secure the k@k out of the bikes. 2 straps, bungie cords, and a bike lock just to be sure. Call me paranoid, but I don't want any of my bikes going bouncing along the R21 at 120km/h :)

I replaced the non lockable knobs with the ones that can lock... so now everything is locked and I am covered with insurance.. plus the knobs can't rattle loose anymore. 

We have both versions, I personally prefer the one where the bikes stand on rails,  no ways I could get 3mtb bikes to fit on the 3 bike hanging one.

I have the "stand-on" three bike carrier. It's a mission to get three MTB's on it without the bikes rubbing against each other. It is very stable behind the Disco as there is basically no wind pressure on it - behind a sedan or hatch I don't know, it might sway a bit.

I used to watch it all the time and checked every time I stopped, now I just load up and go...

Edited by sias

Same problems and a lack of funds made me do this and its a ball!!!

post-36761-0-36504300-1429692575_thumb.jpg

I made the space between the 2 sets only 10cm longer and now I can fit 4 MTBs.

Edited by Zeffer