Carbon frame issue help

mtbrider

HI Hubbers.

I have a 200km old 2015 Silverback Storm replacement frame that I would like to sell but after it was rebuilt I saw that the seat tube seems to be pinched by the f/d clamp. The bicycle shop had a look and showed it to the silverback agent who said its only cosmetic and that there is nothing to worry about.

My questions are: Is this a common thing & has been seen before and can I still sell it with a clean conscience.

Your inputs will be appreciated.

Regards

Stephan

post-18122-0-31829900-1430586941_thumb.jpg

post-18122-0-87589600-1430586947_thumb.jpg

post-18122-0-93623900-1430586976_thumb.jpg

post-18122-0-70151200-1430586985_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look merely cosmetic. I'd insist on a replacement. 

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look merely cosmetic. I'd insist on a replacement.

Who would you insist on a replacement from?

Silverback would surely, and imo rightfully, say the damage was caused by over tightening the front DR.

So either the bike shop cause this, or the owner.

Not a manufacturing defect.

To the OP- I would say that's not cosmetic, so either sell it voetstoots, or get it repaired and build a spare bike...

That is not just cosmetic and a bit of clear coat that's cracked. Pic looks as if it's carbon that's cracked

Who would you insist on a replacement from?

Silverback would surely, and imo rightfully, say the damage was caused by over tightening the front DR.

So either the bike shop cause this, or the owner.

Not a manufacturing defect.

To the OP- I would say that's not cosmetic, so either sell it voets toets, or get it repaired and build a spare bike...

Tell me how you know it is from an overtightened FD clamp, other than sucking on your thumb? If the FD clamp was tightened to the point that it cracked the frame, there would be clamp lines clearly visible on the frame, around that area. There are none that I can see.

My wife had a Stumpy HT that cracked in a very similar manner and at the same spot and Specialized replaced the frame, as the cracking was due to a manufacturing fault.

Tell me how you know it is from an overtightened FD clamp, other than sucking on your thumb? If the FD clamp was tightened to the point that it cracked the frame, there would be clamp lines clearly visible on the frame, around that area. There are none that I can see.

My wife had a Stumpy HT that cracked in a very similar manner and at the same spot and Specialized replaced the frame, as the cracking was due to a manufacturing fault.

Valid point. Return to supplier.

My silverback syncra 2 frame had clinch marks from the FD, but they didn't look anything like this. It was merely the paint being squashed up a little. That looks more serious

Thank you for all the inputs so far. I am now definitely going to get another opinion about the frame before selling it.

What is that frame sold "voetstoots" worth? 

Regards.

My silverback syncra 2 frame had clinch marks from the FD, but they didn't look anything like this. It was merely the paint being squashed up a little. That looks more serious

Do you perhaps have photos with those marks?

Thank you for all the inputs so far. I am now definitely going to get another opinion about the frame before selling it.

Regards.

500 bucks or so. Only cos it can be fixed and I wouldn't call that cosmetic

500 bucks or so. Only cos it can be fixed and I wouldn't call that cosmetic

Bloody shame. It's a gorgeous frame that Silverback. 

Regards.

There is a guy call Bogus on the Hub that does carbon repair- send it to him and it'll come back brand new. Shouldn't be an expensive repair.

I have 2 carbon frames that were repaired and they haven't given me a days problem.

Then either sell it ( & disclose the repair), or build up a 2nd bike. Option 2 is always best- you can never have to many bikes!!

Bloody shame. It's a gorgeous frame that Silverback.

Yeah. Plus - I see the fd clamp marks on the frame pretty clearly. I'd be 95% certain that it's a case of not using the correct torque settings for the fd

Archived