rotator cuff tendinitis: treatment

fanievb

Hi.

Anyone have any treatment ideas for rotator cuff tendinitis (swimmers shoulder) which doesn't include NSAID's or a steroid injection. The medication works wonders but there must be some other way.

I struggle with it every now and again and it's really becoming an issue now that i need to train for 70.3 DBN.

tx

Fanie

Don't know a treatment, but interestingly enough at squad training we are being taught to swim with a different stroke to stop the tendonitis happening in the first place.  Its a wide stroke used by people doing open water / long distance swims.  Feels weird at first, but puts a lot less pressure on your shoulder.

Hi.

Anyone have any treatment ideas for rotator cuff tendinitis (swimmers shoulder) which doesn't include NSAID's or a steroid injection. The medication works wonders but there must be some other way.

I struggle with it every now and again and it's really becoming an issue now that i need to train for 70.3 DBN.

tx

Fanie

Have you gone to see an orthopod? Problem with this, is that the pain could be for a number of reasons and aetiologies. Tendonitis, bursitis and impingement to name a few. The NSAIDs and steroid injections doe work well. 

As far as I see it, you have two courses of treatment: conservative and surgical. Conservative could even be broken down into symptomatic and "curative". If you have a race you're keen on completing, the NSAIDs and steroid injection may buy you enough time to complete the race. "Curative" conservative treatment means rest, physio and NSAIDs/cortisone injection as adjuncts.

The other more radicla option is surgery, which might be necessary if the cause is a physical one (bone spur, osteophyte).

Best course of action IMHO: go see an orthopaedic surgeon, they will give you all the information you might need. And, of course, ping Talus

Had this a while ago, physio sorted it with what I believe was electrolysis to reduce the inflammation. I was then given a number of exercises to strengthen the stabiliser muscles in the rotator cuff.

These muscles are often overlooked.

Have you gone to see an orthopod? Problem with this, is that the pain could be for a number of reasons and aetiologies. Tendonitis, bursitis and impingement to name a few. The NSAIDs and steroid injections doe work well. 

As far as I see it, you have two courses of treatment: conservative and surgical. Conservative could even be broken down into symptomatic and "curative". If you have a race you're keen on completing, the NSAIDs and steroid injection may buy you enough time to complete the race. "Curative" conservative treatment means rest, physio and NSAIDs/cortisone injection as adjuncts.

The other more radicla option is surgery, which might be necessary if the cause is a physical one (bone spur, osteophyte).

Best course of action IMHO: go see an orthopaedic surgeon, they will give you all the information you might need. And, of course, ping Talus

This.

thanks for the replies all.

pain got nasty and I visited the GP.

he suspects a little tear in the tendon, but hopes some medication would sort it out for now.

he confirmed that a visit to the ortho would be needed if its not better in 3 months.

thanks for the replies all.

pain got nasty and I visited the GP.

he suspects a little tear in the tendon, but hopes some medication would sort it out for now.

he confirmed that a visit to the ortho would be needed if its not better in 3 months.

voorspoed.does that mean that you cannot swim for 3 months?

I also have this from time to time.mostly it is when I up the swim training.i now rest it can the pool and only swim open water over weekends with a wide arm.works for me.

voorspoed.does that mean that you cannot swim for 3 months?

injection sorted out the issue for now so I can swim.

Archived