Bike for SO

lechatnoir

I'd like to get my wife into mountain biking and am looking for a bike to get her started. I've heard it said "make it as comfy as possible, and you'll convert her to biking", so looking for recommendations. New or second hand is find, though if it were second hand, I'd do some customisation (from components to paintwork), which could easily cost more than new, but that's OK - I'd be game for a project bike for her.

She's 5'4", so thinking a small frame, and probably 27.5 too. Riding won't be too hectic, so I don't thing FS is needed.

Ideas, comments would be appreciated.

TIA

soooo maybe if shes going to ride it or you would like her to... you should get her more involved in the buying of it and let her sit on some and be involved in the choice etc ........ :oops:

just a thought  :ph34r:  :w00t:

Yep, definitely get your wife involved in the exercise - it's amazing how what makes absolute sense to us men will not make the cut with them - so we have to put in the hard miles and meet them where they're at. [emoji26][emoji35][emoji24][emoji7]

I got my wife a Liv Tempt 3 27.5 after she tried out several other bikes (29er, 27.5, men's vs women-specific, Scott, Trek, etc.). She felt more in control of the 27.5 as opposed to the 29er. She's also quite short and the small frame suits her very well. The Liv Tempt 3 ticks all the right entry level boxes (Giant brand, hydraulic disc brakes, lifetime guarantee on the frame, sub-R7k price, etc.) and is pretty in sparkly purple.

She loves it and rides it - which at the end of the day is what counts.

So good luck!

post-70738-1433176479,0278.jpg

This is the only pic I have of it on my phone.

soooo maybe if shes going to ride it or you would like her to... you should get her more involved in the buying of it and let her sit on some and be involved in the choice etc ........ :oops:

just a thought  :ph34r:  :w00t:

That is a good point. Wouldn't be a surprise though... <thinking....>

That is a good point. Wouldn't be a surprise though... <thinking....>

well as alphakilo also said and ive had experience with .... its better not as a surprise and if you want some commitment from her - you have to make her part of the whole process...

the hub classifieds are full of bikes that where bought by guys for their girls who then just didn't want them because they wherent involved and then didn't want to be ... :whistling:

just some bros to bros advice :thumbup:

My wife was not worried about the bike i bought her (but she had to approve the paint job) she initially started on an entry level 26er and she hated it. So much so she stopped riding for almost 18months.

Then i got a bit better speced 27.5" (Titan Trail) which got her back on the bike. She loved the bike but it was still very entry level.

Got her a mid range 29er at the end of last year (she had to do the K2C on the titan then we could upgrade, my terms) and she loves it.

All of them small frames as she is 1.6m (or there about) and all of them male specific bikes. They just way easier to resell when you want to upgrade.

I surprised the Wife with a Spez Rockhopper. It's a small frame HT 29r, with a decent entry level RS fork, SLX shifters and brakes. She chose the saddle afterwards. If anything, I think the fairer sex expects the gadgets to just work. If they don't, they loose interest in riding almost on the spot!

Archived