Slipping Chain

JJDT

I broke my rear derailleur on the Magalies Monster. Bought a new XT clutch type derailleur with a new XT 10spd chain.

While fitting the new parts also decided to replace the cable and housings.

On my makeshift workstand shifting up and down is smooth and everything seems to be fine. This evening decided I will test the bike quickly.

Shifting on the road is fine but now the chain is slipping in gears 9 & 10 as soon as their is force applied to gain speed.

Help....

When replacing a chain, you have to replace the cassette and chainrings too. These parts wear together. A new chain on a worn cassette/chainring doesn't grip the teeth and slips when sufficient torque is applied. 

Either refit the old chain or fit a new cassette and chainrings.

You bought a new chain but not a new cassette.the chain is slipping because your cassette is worn and your chain is brand new and they don"t fit each other

The casette was replaced last year and did not do that much mileage on the chain and casette about 500km in total, because during the later stage of last year was riding my roadbike in preperation for the 947 cycle race. I broke the chain for a temporary single speed convertion in order to finish the race.

The hanger was replaced last month after I broke it as well.

I had the same problem a few weeks back. The bike from the factory had the chain rotation the wrong way around so the chain was slipping. Maybe just check if the chain is in the right direction.

I had the same problem a few weeks back. The bike from the factory had the chain rotation the wrong way around so the chain was slipping. Maybe just check if the chain is in the right direction.

Huh? Please explain a bit more.

The Shimano CN-HG900-11 Chain is a Directional chain.

It seems that you are getting some chain suck to have broken a derailleur and hangar so soon apart - unless you are just very unlucky.  I would get the rings checked out as well. The "slip" is a different feel compared to the chain trying to jump up or down a gear (which you will get with a bent hangar). You usually get it slipping on the gears which you use most as they will be the worn ones.

The timing of your chain changes is critical to the wear on the cassette and rings.  If you change your chain at the right time one cassette will last around three chains and the rings a lot more.  One badly worn chain will destroy a cassette in no time. Check out the pinned thread on chains.

When replacing a chain, you have to replace the cassette and chainrings too. These parts wear together. A new chain on a worn cassette/chainring doesn't grip the teeth and slips when sufficient torque is applied. 

What he said ^^

Shimano's Hyperglide chains (HG) have two different faces / sides to allow for better shifting. The lettered side should face outside (and the non-lettered side towards the wheel. The rotation of the chain, however, does not matter, since every second link is upside down.

post-13049-0-18724100-1433313673_thumb.jpg

Rear Cassette.

post-13049-0-09823400-1433313704_thumb.jpg

Front Chainrings.

As you can see the wear is minimal.

As per chain the markings on the chain (words) are facing outwards.

I broke my rear derailleur on the Magalies Monster. Bought a new XT clutch type derailleur with a new XT 10spd chain.

While fitting the new parts also decided to replace the cable and housings.

On my makeshift workstand shifting up and down is smooth and everything seems to be fine. This evening decided I will test the bike quickly.

Shifting on the road is fine but now the chain is slipping in gears 9 & 10 as soon as their is force applied to gain speed.

Help....

I had the same problem a while back.

In the end I found there to much tension on the cable even after adjusting barrel to min. I loosened off cable clamp screw at derailleur to release more tension on cable. Retightened clamp screw and slight adjustment on cable barrel and problem solved. My 2 cents.

That's it.

Had same problem, slipped on 11, 13, and 15 when applying force, after installing only a new chain and clutch derailleur.

Replaced the cassette, and all was solved.

In addition, and don't know if it is, but seems as if new clutch derailleur is set further back, so chain/cassette contact not 180 degrees, but less, say 160 degrees, making it more prone to slipping if cassette is worn?

Archived