Vaal Triangle Routes

Bianca van Wyk

Hi Guys, does anyone know of MTB trails in the vaal area?  I only know bout the one next to Emerald in Vdbijl.  Please help?!  I don't want to travel to Parys or JHB each time!!!

Yes the one next to Emrald belongs to NWU club just join them and ride there, also go to Vaalpark just across the Vaal river at Stonehaven there is tacks around there with a few locals riding there.

also very interested to hear about group rides and routes in the vaal, but especially if there are any triathlon group rides, usually drive all the way out to alberton to join groups there which is a real pain

Looks like everything is happening in vanderbijlpark with the two clubs there but in vereeniging and meyerton there is not really alot of group ride altough I see alot of roadies in meyrton area but most of them ride alone there is also the mtb guys from bosco curcus I know the use to ride every Friday at 15:00 from the circus doing a 40km or so ride behind the r59 one stop open to anyone who wants to join

What is the best (read safest) route to get from Meyerton to Vaalpark?  We live in Jhb but I want to ride from the circus to the in-laws in Vaalpark.  Quite a few years ago I used to ride the route below but I don't know how safe it is now.  Please help a bit!!

Route:

Bosco Circus - down R550 (becomes M61).  Over Meyer Street to Johan le Roux.

Right over R59 and then left going past Samancor (I think that's the factory).

Follow that road all the way to Redan.

Left and then right onto Hollyhock going past Arconpark Checkers.

Follow this road to Kariba Street (just after the show grounds) turning right onto Kariba.

Then all the way up past the new President Hyper and Makro.

Left onto the road leading past Bedworth Park PnP and the right onto Hendrick van Eck (varsity).

Most of that is still pretty safe roads just be careful from kiriba to bedworth its close to sharpville ...I rode to sasol once using the heilbron road when you turn first one left after passing reviera hotel in vereeniging had some good yellow line border lines at some places but dont know its faster then going to bedworth park

Archived