PYGA OneTen29 Size

Aggies

Was in same boat, we're about the same height (I'm 1.87) - been riding a large - in process of moving to an XL.

We are patiently waiting for your detailed report (6 pages  :ph34r: ) of what difference you found.

lol, okay...

Initial impressions:

Only one ride done so far on a reasonably "non-technical" route

Less cramped

More aggressive position on bike, I was very up straight before.

More centered or "in" bike

Saddle is positioned above the BB ( I was previously slightly behind) - this I reckon has Improved my climbing efficiency.

Was able to go back to a 70mm stem, due to longer top tube.

I feel that I can manoevre the bike better

Edited by cadenceblur

Thanks. I am also 1.87 and you don't need to tell me anything related to all the factors. It will help me a lot if I can understand the reasons why you are moving away from L to XL. Have you tried an XL?

I am trying an XL tomorrow.

Late reply, but I'm 1.89 and ride an XL with a 90mm stem. Fits me extremely well. I want to try a 70mm stem soon to see if it'll tighten up the turn in a bit. IMO if you're over 1.85 XL is the only way to go on the oneten29

Its terrible to see a Pyga with a long stem. I think when Pat pulled out his pencil, he intended his bikes to have a longish top-tube/short stem. That's how they should be set up.

Why? Stem length, bar width and offset, and front wheel offset are all factors which will influence the steering action. It all depends how you prefer your bike to respond in corners.

I have a 60mm Stem (Zero Rise) on mine with 780mm Bar and I find it very nice. Would still rather go shorter on the stem than longer.

The design of the bike really is long top-tube, short stem, wide bars.

Why? Stem length, bar width and offset, and front wheel offset are all factors which will influence the steering action. It all depends how you prefer your bike to respond in corners.

It's not just about steering action. It's about stability, proper bike fit, maneuverability and many other factors. 

Fact is that PYGAs are designed with short stems in mind. 

I have just purchased a Pyga 110 and are loving it - not really a bike, more like a War Rig on the way down hills.

I am 1.78m, right on the divide between M and L. I went for the large and it is fantastic with a short stem.

As far as I am aware (and I have never spoken to Pat), but apparently the way to improve handling on 29ers, compared to 5 years ago, is to shorten the chainstays, slacken the head-angle, shorten the stem and therefore lenghen the top tube. Pat was one of the first to do this with the Pyga 110. If one looks at the geometry of the Spec Camber, Ibis etc, they have also come around to this approach over the past 3-4 years.

In terms of the relationship between stem length, head-angle and handling alone:

- A longer stem will make the handling feel less sharp, less direct and slower. This is good if you don't want twitchy or skiterish handling e.g. look at the road bikes on the Tour de France, most guys have long stems. This is flatten their upper body but also to create a stable ride that should in theory stop you from quickly verring into the guy next to you. In a similar manner it can be good on XC race bikes with steep (>71%) head angles as it makes them less twitchy.

- A shorter stem will make the steering feel more direct, faster and make the overall bike feel nippier. This is the reason why most downhill dudes have really short stems. Greg and Gwin don't actually have stems, the bar is mounted directly onto the head of the shock. It is better in the tight turns they need to deal with and a fair bit of the twitchyness is taken care of by a slacker head angle.

Long story short, for the Pyga, go for a larger frame and a shorter stem for better handling. Due to the slacker head angle, it handles like a demon without been twtichy.

Edited by Baracuda

• 2 weeks later...

This is me next to a prop of the tallest man in the world. Only 2.72m. Wonder what frame size he would take.

post-10303-0-34514700-1439135867_thumb.jpg