Help figuring out a roof rack (or other) to get.

DominionZA

Hey Peeps,

We are going to the berg in 2 weeks, and there is no way I am leaving my MTB behind. So looking at options for a roof carrier or my trailer.

My trailer has two bars fitted already and 1M apart. I reckon I can get 2 carriers on it, and maybe a third.

Looking at these options.
https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/140061-roof-top-trailer-top-carriers-sale/#

and

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/138800-thule-proride-591-single-roof-rack/

The intention if I get the 591 above is to go purchase another 2 at Thule in Woodmead.

Which of the above are the best (like the pricing in option 1)?

Also, my trailer is fibre glass. Will the racks be strong enough to hold the bikes? I have manually pulled on them - quite hard - and they seem good. I am concerned though as I don't want to see our bikes go flying across the freeway somewhere.

Another option is something that mounts on the back of my wifes 2012 Jeep Cherokee (not taking my A5 on those dodgy roads - nearly got divorced over that last year). Taking into consideration there will be a trailer too so the carrier must be able to clear the trailer. The nose of the trailer does  dip quite a bit so there should be sufficient space for a hang type carrier if the carrier mounts rather high up.

Any ideas on the above? Some guidance if you can please guys.

Attached pictures of the trailer if it helps at all..

post-73518-0-66880600-1434350806_thumb.jpg

post-73518-0-33029000-1434350826_thumb.jpg

Okay, Thule just called me. They recommend the Freeride for R1,299 and say it will fit my trailer no problem. Even said to take the trailer around to them and they will fit it for me.

Then these guys https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/140061-roof-top-trailer-top-carriers-sale/#responded as well. They said they are in KZN, but shipping is free and a full refund if they don't suit my purposes.

The R950 vs R1,299 is not very important to me. The main thing is - which are the best? What do you guys recommend?

I would go to thule. They fit 100's of these things. Theiy should know their stuff and can then fit it as well.

Are your bikes carbon fibre?  If they are then you should be looking at the Thule Pro Ride and not the Freeride.

I can mount 4 mountain bikes on top of my Eagle trailer without using any bike carrier, by using tie downs to pull the front of the bikes down and then just cable tying the back wheels.  The racks on my Eagle trailer are a bit longer that the racks on your trailer though.

I would go to thule. They fit 100's of these things. Theiy should know their stuff and can then fit it as well.

Thanks for you input. I am thinking along these lines myself.

Are your bikes carbon fibre?  If they are then you should be looking at the Thule Pro Ride and not the Freeride.

I can mount 4 mountain bikes on top of my Eagle trailer without using any bike carrier, by using tie downs to pull the front of the bikes down and then just cable tying the back wheels.  The racks on my Eagle trailer are a bit longer that the racks on your trailer though.

Not yet. I am still in the early stages of MTB. My bike is a Titan Comp 29er. My wifes is a Titan ladies something or another 29er. And my sons is a cheapy 26er.

So just 3 bikes I need to get onto the trailer.

William at Thule Woodmead mentioned the Pro Ride if I had carbon bikes, and after telling him I didn't he recommended the Freeride. That said though - I am climbing the upgrade path quite heavily with my Titan Comp and already starting to mull over my next bike. So perhaps I should future proof my racks for when the time comes.

What is the major difference between the Pro Ride and and Freeride (except price)?

How do you get your bikes to stand up on the trailer if you don't use a carrier? I am struggling to envision this.

The arm of the Freeride clamps quite tightly onto the frame whereas the arm of the Proride does not clamp as tightly as it is just used to stabilize the bike.  I have 2 Freeride's but I recently bought my son a carbon bike so need to change to a Proride for the top of my bakkie.

For the trailer I use a tie down strap on either side of the handle bars and pull the front down towards the bar on top of the trailer, just like the moto cross guys do with their motorbikes.  Then I just cable tie the back wheel to the other bar on the trailer.  I will try to find a photo when I get home this afternoon.

The arm of the Freeride clamps quite tightly onto the frame whereas the arm of the Proride does not clamp as tightly as it is just used to stabilize the bike.  I have 2 Freeride's but I recently bought my son a carbon bike so need to change to a Proride for the top of my bakkie.

For the trailer I use a tie down strap on either side of the handle bars and pull the front down towards the bar on top of the trailer, just like the moto cross guys do with their motorbikes.  Then I just cable tie the back wheel to the other bar on the trailer.  I will try to find a photo when I get home this afternoon.

Please do try post a pic. That would be great. Thanks!

Hoe styf kan die clamp nou wees? Eks seker hy sal eerste 'n knak in die aluminium sit voor hy enige iets aan die carbon doen?

Hoe styf kan die clamp nou wees? Eks seker hy sal eerste 'n knak in die aluminium sit voor hy enige iets aan die carbon doen?

I suppose you are welcome to try it.  Thule recommend the Proride for carbon frames though and I don't think that they will entertain any claims arising from the use of the Freeride with carbon frames.

Whatever you do, try your best to avoid roof mounted carriers, it's an accident waiting to happen.... I don't know of anyone who has used roof mounts and NOT had some sort of accident with them....

Try get something for your trailer ...

Roof mounts are the business. I have owned all 3 major types.

Towbar (both platfrom and hanging), clip on the back and roof mount. Roof mount be far the best.

I have the FreeRide (came as a Volvo thing with my car) and I tell you, if you have a carbon frame you will develop and ulcer. Every time I load it, I fear a "crunch."

Get a Pro Ride regardless of your frame.

Ye - I am nervous about putting bikes on the roof of the car. I am the forgetful type, so chances if me taking my bikes out are pretty good. Trailer is about as high as I would go roof wise :)

I dropped Mark an email. I saw in the last pic on his site that he has a rack designed for my exact trailer. Hoping his prices are good.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Please do try post a pic. That would be great. Thanks!

Sorry was hoping to find a pic of the bikes on the trailer from the the last time we went camping, but no luck.

The problem with a trailer only rack is that you then have to tow the trailer around wherever you want to go cycle!  Love my roof carriers, you just have to be aware that there are bikes on your roof.

post-4408-0-97198800-1434399176_thumb.jpg

Sorry was hoping to find a pic of the bikes on the trailer from the the last time we went camping, but no luck.

The problem with a trailer only rack is that you then have to tow the trailer around wherever you want to go cycle! Love my roof carriers, you just have to be aware that there are bikes on your roof.

attachicon.gif5 Spot on roof.jpg

No worries. Thanks for trying.

I already have a Thule 3 bike hang on carrier for my tow bar. The problem is when we go on holiday, the tow bar is used for the trailer. This is the reason I am doing this now.

When I go on my own, I just take off the front wheel and stick my bike in the boot.

Daai clamp is vrek styf. As jy eendag 'n kans het, knyp 'n bietjie die downtube van 'n carbon fiets, jy sal verbaas wees as jy sien hoeveel flex in die pype is.

Archived