Shimano Lower End groupsets

Speeltyd

Some advice please. I am an experienced MTBer, and want to take my wife on the KKK Tour end September ( 7 days of 100km ea). Dirt roads, mountain passes and some jeep track through forrests - no technical single track. We are two couples and will do it with tandems. The tandem I consider has Shimano Alviro groupsets throughout. 3x9. I am comfortable with the gearing, but do not want to be let down by the components. Just did some of the route as part of the Knysna200, and decided I'm replacing the brakes with a spare Magura set I have - some serious long downhills with tandem weight. Will the components work and last - or is it "Makro"-stuff? Should I perhaps change the two derailleurs (or my thinking is just the rear) - and if so, with what? My wife is a fair cyclist - has done the Argus with me on a road tandem a few times.

Any advice...

Some advice please. I am an experienced MTBer, and want to take my wife on the KKK Tour end September ( 7 days of 100km ea). Dirt roads, mountain passes and some jeep track through forrests - no technical single track. We are two couples and will do it with tandems. The tandem I consider has Shimano Alviro groupsets throughout. 3x9. I am comfortable with the gearing, but do not want to be let down by the components. Just did some of the route as part of the Knysna200, and decided I'm replacing the brakes with a spare Magura set I have - some serious long downhills with tandem weight. Will the components work and last - or is it "Makro"-stuff? Should I perhaps change the two derailleurs (or my thinking is just the rear) - and if so, with what? My wife is a fair cyclist - has done the Argus with me on a road tandem a few times.

Any advice...

Change the brakes  to deore (or Magura) and you should be good to go. Deore or slx components are not that expensive, cwc is selling slx rd for R550, but you will be changing from 9 to 10 speed which mean changing cassette, shifters, derailleurs and that is going to cost.

We rode the Swartberg pass and good brakes are going to be essential especially on a tandem.

My wife and I are also riding the KKK so see you there!

Nah, Shimano Alivio stuff is bomb proof. Ridden it for aaages before and it never gave out. Slightly heavier than the rest, but no problems.

Replacing the brakes with your maguras or a new set of deore brakes would be a good move though.

The rest? Ride it till it breaks.

Great! Looking forward to it. Thanks for your comments

Change the brakes  to deore (or Magura) and you should be good to go. Deore or slx components are not that expensive, cwc is selling slx rd for R550, but you will be changing from 9 to 10 speed which mean changing cassette, shifters, derailleurs and that is going to cost.

We rode the Swartberg pass and good brakes are going to be essential especially on a tandem.

My wife and I are also riding the KKK so see you there!

Archived