Review: 2016 Fox 34 Float

Iwan Kemp

Okay, Tim. I admit I wasn't clear there.

Let's just leave the 32 out of this as it resembles wet spaghetti at anything above 130mm (yes, tested)

Fox 34 competes with the Revelation, but tries to take on the pike. Has good small bump compliance and reportedly takes care of the lack of mid stroke support that the CTD era was renowned for.

Fox 36 and the pike are direct competitors. Split decisions as to which is better. Easy enough?

Lyrik is the stiffer burlier pike. Those who want a slightly stiffer chassis than What the pike affords (not me, pike is plenty stiff for what I ride as you know) mainly for guys who ride park. Built to take on the Fox 36 at 180mm, I'd presume.

Yari and sektor are the budget versions of both. Performance segment killers, if you will.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how much more velvety is the 34 than the Pike? What exactly is the VELVETY sliding scale?

Is this really such a big issue that you feel the need to come back and keep arguing it? Or are you (still) arguing for the sake of? No ways that you could go (in your head) "oh okay, I don't agree with the wording, but I get what he's getting at" and move on? One thing to say you rode one or three and your experience was completely different. Something else to argue one description to death.

And "buttery smooth" is well-known enough that Google named a project to improve speed and more responsive after it. But chances are you missed that as you've been spending all this time reading several Fox 34 reviews.

Yet you still say "Nice review and seems to bear out what I have found with the 2016 Float 32", but calls into question that the fork actually ridden and heaven forbid one use butter rather than velvet. Will satin do? My baby daughter has a pet bunny with satin on the inside of it's ears and it's pretty damn soft and silky. 

Silky! Silky smooth. I'll use that in my Pike review.

NOOOO! How will anyone ever believe the review one day if you wash it now? How will I keep my street cred when I roll in at the Vida e, Stellenbosch on a Saturday afternoon?

Hahaha! Easy. I have proof of me sucking at clearing a jump.

Maybe on SABS channels yes. Velvety is more common. This butteryness doesn't have meaning. Doesn't seem to be in any official dictionary anyway.

So how much more buttery is the Fox 34 over the RS Pike? Or are they both buttery? What degree of buttery determines which is better?

Velvety would seem to be more tangible and consistent because what type of butter is being used for the simile?

Seriously?

Apparently the 34 has the same excellent small bump compliance as the pike, but in a slightly less stiff package. You should really be comparing the 34 to the Revelation though. Pike is a direct competitor to the 36, not the 34 (well, see below... got a bit muddled with the lyrik) even though there's some cross coverage.

Add to this... the lyrik has changed that a bit. So yes, comparison can be 34 to pike and 36 to lyrik.

Ja rightly or wrongly many reviewers are comparing the new Fox 34 forks to the Pike which has been the benchmark since it came out.

I ride the older 34 and must say it is not all that plush for small bump and low speed but it has impressed me at higher speeds. I ride it mostly in the softest setting on Trail or fully open (Descend) so I think the CTD system offers adjustability in the wrong places....

The new fork has self adjusting air negative instead of coil negative spring....this will improve the fit to riders of differing weights as a coil negative is really only optimum for one weight...will improve 'butteriness'[emoji48]

CTD has now become Firm/Med/Open and all the compression adjustment is in the Open range now - this should be a lot more versatile than the old Trail-adjust dial....and somewhat similar to Pike RCT3 controls.

It is also around 200g lighter than before - most welcome.

Edited by JXV

Ja rightly or wrongly many reviewers are comparing the new Fox 34 forks to the Pike which has been the benchmark since it came out.

I ride the older 34 and must say it is not all that plush for small bump and low speed but it has impressed me at higher speeds. I ride it mostly in the softest setting on Trail or fully open (Descend) so I think the CTD system offers adjustability in the wrong places....

The new fork has self adjusting air negative instead of coil negative spring....this will improve the fit to riders of differing weights as a coil negative is really only optimum for one weight...will improve 'butteriness'[emoji48]

CTD has now become Firm/Med/Open and all the compression adjustment is in the Open range now - this should be a lot more versatile than the old Trail-adjust dial....and somewhat similar to Pike RCT3 controls.

Yip. Moving external adjustment to full open mode has made a MASSIVE difference.

EDIT: Thanks for getting us back on topic. I will henceforth keep it as such from my side.

Yeah. Agreed.

The price though is a huge factor. Yoikes

So basically, the 2016 Fox Float 34 is much improved, so much that its kills the negatives of the 2015 model and rejuvenates Fox as a viable trail fork?

Edited by raptor-22

Hahaha! Easy. I have proof of me sucking at clearing a jump.

Doesn't count if the bike's not dirty in said proof.

PS. Staying on topic starting NOW.

So basically, the 2016 Fox Float 34 is much improved, so much that its kills the negatives of the 2015 model and rejuvenates Fox as a viable trail fork?

If it proves reliable, then yes, absolutely. This will be the first Fox I consider spending money on since the 2010 36 RC2.

The negative spring could be changed out for a more appropriate strength but its certainly would not allow the negative to follow the positive spring as linearly.

Edited by raptor-22

The 2014 version Factory CTD on my bike IS a very viable trail fork - just not best of breed.

When I bought my bike early last year the Pike sadly wasn't available on it at that stage ( TB LTc ). Still very happy with it but the 2 main issues for me are the weight and the lack of adjustments in the range where I want them.

The small bump plushness issue is very minor to me as it just gets better and better the faster you go - when I really need it to work on rough stuff at pace, it works well.

The 2014 version Factory CTD on my bike IS a very viable trail fork - just not best of breed.

When I bought my bike early last year the Pike sadly wasn't available on it at that stage ( TB LTc ). Still very happy with it but the 2 main issues for me are the weight and the lack of adjustments in the range where I want them.

The small bump plushness issue is very minor to me as it just gets better and better the faster you go - when I really need it to work on rough stuff at pace, it works well.

Was it the FIT cartridge? I remember reading that that one was a bit better.

Was it the FIT cartridge? I remember reading that that one was a bit better.

Yes. mine is 34 Factory FIT CTD with trail adjust and Kashima coat

Quite a mouthful