Nissan Trailseeker #3 Hazeldean

corriekuilder

I and others around me ended up with 77km, an extra 10% in distance. This is such an age old complaint at Fritz Pienaar and his crew and is really inexcusable.

For those of us racing the course as opposed to just getting round in one piece the distance needs to be accurate. You pace yourself physically, mentally and from a hydration perspective for 70km. To have the race carry on for an extra 10% throws all the above pacing off and makes an already difficult finish even more difficult. All of us had no fluids for the last 10km having not stopped and we finishing them at approx 67km in anticipation of the finish.

To add insult to injury we had some ch*p on a MX bike chaperoning us, who felt the need every chance he got to give it full throttle and hold a wheelie down the dirt road. All he did was create a massive dirt cloud for us multiple times. Unfortunately we never got close enough to him to tell him to stop, nor did our wishes that he fall on his ar$e get realised either.

Rant/whinge/moan over

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the last 10km, it was so bumpy I thought my fork had given up on me.

Really enjoyed the rest, must say this was a lot harder than year. Or maybe I just had one of those days

Haha, it was very bumpy in sections and I also thought my shocks had given up. If fact, when I got back home I pumped up the pressure and re-set the sag. Some of those corrugations really took it out of me.

Enjoyed the first 55kns until cramps hit.

I and others around me ended up with 77km, an extra 10% in distance. This is such an age old complaint at Fritz Pienaar and his crew and is really inexcusable.

For those of us racing the course as opposed to just getting round in one piece the distance needs to be accurate. You pace yourself physically, mentally and from a hydration perspective for 70km. To have the race carry on for an extra 10% throws all the above pacing off and makes an already difficult finish even more difficult. All of us had no fluids for the last 10km having not stopped and we finishing them at approx 67km in anticipation of the finish.

To add insult to injury we had some ch*p on a MX bike chaperoning us, who felt the need every chance he got to give it full throttle and hold a wheelie down the dirt road. All he did was create a massive dirt cloud for us multiple times. Unfortunately we never got close enough to him to tell him to stop, nor did our wishes that he fall on his ar$e get realised either.

Rant/whinge/moan over

As said earlier, hated the last 10, BUT:

To their defense, the online booklet (as well as the one handed out) and profile did show 73.8km, so we did 2 km more only

Weird, my garmin had me at 71. I've checked my route against someone who has it recorded as almost 78 and it is identical. garmin glitch maybe?

My garmin measured 76, upload to Srrava said 79... lost my humor a bit in the last 10 km.

Was nice doing the route backwards compared to last year. Route itself was nice with all the singletrack, dont mind the bumpyness too much. Biggest problem is that I was not nearly prepared enough and suffered from about 50km. Long day in the saddle.

My garmin measured 76, upload to Srrava said 79... lost my humor a bit in the last 10 km.

Was nice doing the route backwards compared to last year. Route itself was nice with all the singletrack, dont mind the bumpyness too much. Biggest problem is that I was not nearly prepared enough and suffered from about 50km. Long day in the saddle.

Had a nice day out until we went over the highway. That last part felt pointless as it wasn't lekker. But up till that last part I had lots of fun. Rout way harder than last year. That start and finish wasn't thought out well, bit of a struggle getting up those two bumps with everyone stopping around you. Saw a guy in Rosemary Hills that broke his rear wheel still wondering how he managed that. I measured 77km. 

There we two sharp jumps shortly after I saw a guy walking backwards with a cracked carbon wheel. I think he took the first jump hoping to Make it over the second jump. He probably hit the second jump with his full weight and at a bad angle, which may have broken his wheel.

There we two sharp jumps shortly after I saw a guy walking backwards with a cracked carbon wheel. I think he took the first jump hoping to Make it over the second jump. He probably hit the second jump with his full weight and at a bad angle, which may have broken his wheel.

Makes sens because when I went past him he was standing closer to the first big bump.

Anyone had problems with route markings? I saw a bunch of guys coming against traffic when we at first parr of the 40.

me think they were marathon guys.

Wow i am either still recovering from a cold or i am not as fit as i thought. Long day out and i think most of the field passed me! Not looking at the results lol.

My wife and I got horribly lost on the marathon route after about 35km. I thought we were in trouble but that was quickly confirmed when Nico Bell came speeding up behind us. Starting in F Batch I thought we were doing well but not that well. We got to the Rosemary hill dirt road and rode all the way back to the turnoff but ended up doing the same "wrong loop". Eventually found the 45 km route and headed to the finish. In total 62km of riding in 3hrs10min. Disappointed in myself but at least got to spend some time on the bike.

Yeah, I think I saw him too .. shouted "huge air" dude!...

Wow i am either still recovering from a cold or i am not as fit as i thought. Long day out and i think most of the field passed me! Not looking at the results lol.

I feel exactly the same

My wife and I got horribly lost on the marathon route after about 35km. I thought we were in trouble but that was quickly confirmed when Nico Bell came speeding up behind us. Starting in F Batch I thought we were doing well but not that well. We got to the Rosemary hill dirt road and rode all the way back to the turnoff but ended up doing the same "wrong loop". Eventually found the 45 km route and headed to the finish. In total 62km of riding in 3hrs10min. Disappointed in myself but at least got to spend some time on the bike.

Wish I followed you around (but I was one of the slower F batch people), could have done with only 62km. When I got tired there was always someone I could follow, or the route markings was impossible to miss on the other occasions (even when I started wondering there was lots of tape on the trees or grass).

Also did 75.9kmon my garmin,haf a blast the first 45-50km,nice and fast,then came the sh#%tty,rocky,sandy uphill,(just past the 50km waterpoint),and came down relatively hard,knocking my ribs,ruining the day. Finished at 3:48:00,hot as hell,stomach cramps,but like always,after the race,it was fun,lol,need to train more,harder to HTFU.

So who of you are doing Dullstroom........Saturday and Sunday????

Lekker plek...and 600m higher above sea-level than yesterday's event.......asmapompieeeeee!!!

Archived