Vryheid Natal Road Rides

Sharkie 2

Anybody on here from Vryheid in Northern KZN?

We are going down this weekend for a wedding and would like to ride Saturday and Sunday. Ride of 3.5-4hrs

Our friend said we can ride out to Paulpietersburg and back, so that will be the plan although we would like to join a group

Have never ridden it with a bike, but know the road well. Its about 50km one way, and has a nice wide shoulder most of the way. There's some lekker climbs on that road.

I know you are looking for advice on road, but there is a trailrun/mtb stage race on in Vryheid on Sat/Sun as well.

got a mtb? - there are lovely forests and nice big hill to ride

Road out to paulpiet is quiter - but not entirely quiet

Road to ulundi is crazy busy with coal trucks - i think the louwsberg road is the same

Road to dundee is like the paulpiet rd

all of them are single lane and used by trucks and cars alike - there are some big trucks...thats about as much as I can give you

Vryheid to Dundee. It's about 70km each way. Just turn back when you have had enough. Done it a few times but from Dundee.

Don't ask

Anybody on here from Vryheid in Northern KZN?

We are going down this weekend for a wedding and would like to ride Saturday and Sunday. Ride of 3.5-4hrs

Our friend said we can ride out to Paulpietersburg and back, so that will be the plan although we would like to join a group

Hi Sharkie

In winter the group does MTB on weekends, and MTB afternoon rides midweek, however this weekend Swaziland beckons. The group is riding the Inyatsi G2G this Saturday.

Would not do Dundee road, lots of traffic. Best option is from Vryheid to Paulpietersburg on the R34, turn right as you get into Paulpietersburg towards Natal Spa which leads back to Vryheid for a nice pretty tough 100km circular route. Road is in good condition for most of the route. One bad section on the 1st downhill as you exit Paulpietersburg, take care there. Most of Vryheid cyclist have moved to mtbing, so you would be on your own, but maybe there is someone who would like to join you. PM me if you would like to have a contact no in Vryheid. I am in Paulpietersburg, but am going horse riding on Saturday

Have never ridden it with a bike, but know the road well. Its about 50km one way, and has a nice wide shoulder most of the way. There's some lekker climbs on that road.

I know you are looking for advice on road, but there is a trailrun/mtb stage race on in Vryheid on Sat/Sun as well.

The trail run/mtb stage race is on 15/16 August according to email I received

Thanks for the advice guys!

Friend grew up in Vryheid and has his wedding there this weekend actually closer to Paulpiet at Bivane Lodge.

I know it is a great area for MTB....his advice as well but his advice was also to ride to Paulpiet and back.

Looking forward to seeing that part of SA for the first time

Archived