Steel frames

gummibear

Are there any framebuilers in SA? I think Duncan MacIntyre is in Cape Town somewhere and although he's sold his jigs when he left Jhb' date=' he is rumoured to have teamed up with someone.

A while ago there was a framebuilding thread here and about three builders were mentioned. Do a search.

About 8 years ago I built a steel bike with the help of Duncan and I love the bike. I don't know why, but it is my favourite bike.

[/quote']

Duncan works with Francois du Toit (Master Framebuilder). He is doing more restoring of old frames then building new ones.

Also the best Track coach in SA. Most of the top riders in the Cape trains with him.

I have to admit, the steel frames are the best. Heavy, and generally 'thinner'looking, but they work. And the ride is unequalled in my opinion.

Glad to hear Macintyre is still around...

I reckon if Cycle Arts didn't do an acceptable job' date=' then nobody will.

I gave them a lugged Colnago Master to respray many years ago and I was very impressed with the job. [/quote']

I think you are right int he first instance.

The Colnago is easier to paint. The top lugs are chromed and easy to mask. The bottom lugs are simply painted over.

What I'm after are lugs in a completely different colour. It is hellishly difficult to mask the lugs because the transition point between lug and frame is vague. I'll post some pics of what I have and what I'd like tomorrow. Our power was just turned off (6PM) and my battery is not up to much more.

Johan, what alot of painters don't use is "Spraylat". It's a liquid that turns rubbery when it's dry. Youcan then easy cut it with a crafts knife to get perfect lines. It is used to get into tight corners and will be perfect for lugs. They they also can use id liquid latex that you can buy at any art store. It works the same way.

GO, the weight of steel has been drastically reduced over the years, and with the proper wheels ext come down to something very close to 7 or 8 kgs.  Kona has a main stream steel frame, the Kapu which goes for $2100, or in souf effriken, R 17 000 plus commissionhttp://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k8/images/625/2K8_KAPU.jpg