[Event] Darling Ttu Springflower MTB Event

Darling Brew Extreme MTB

Event Name: Darling Ttu Springflower MTB Event
When: 26 September 2015
Where: !Khwattu, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The Darling ttu MTB challenge will provide young and novice, as well as experienced and professional riders with gorgeous scenery and a choice of exhilarating routes that encourages participation by the whole family. The race includes three circular routes:

5 km Fun Ride for Kiddies - Blue Route

10 km - Green Route

45km - Purple Route

60km - Yellow Route (This unique and challenging route will only be open for this event!!!)

26 September 2015

iKhwattu Game Reserve, R27, West Coast

All routes provide challenging terrain for young and old. In terms of challenges there is no shortage of steep climbs. Cyclists can expect unequalled views, breath-taking scenery and close encounters with the area’s fauna and flora as they wind through the panoramic coastal and Darling hills. The route offers some of the best terrain available, ranging from rough back roads and jeep tracks to hills and mountain landscapes, a considerable abundance of fauna and flora.

Darling Flowers

It is said that the flowers of the Cape West Coast are strong enough to stop a car, this has to be tested on a MTB during this race. On many special areas on this route you might find yourself surrounded by vast patches of purple dotted with yellow, or a canvas of orange with white speckles. This is a magical time along the pristine West Coast when every coastal town and inland village, mountains and fields are ablaze as an endless, kaleidoscope of wild flowers burst, almost simultaneously, into full bloom.

Fun for the whole family

The yard of beautifully renovated !Khwa ttu buildings will be a hive of activity, packed with delicious and beautiful country contributions. Riders and non-riders can enjoy artisan foods, arts and crafts, home ware and décor, live entertainment, lots of fun activities for kids, and Ormonde wines. Locals will be presenting a marvellous selection of Darling gourmet produce including mushrooms, burgers, breads, cheese, cured meats, olive oils, preserves and much more – to enjoy at the market or take home.

The routes and water points

The race starts and ends on the yard of the scenic !Khwa ttu game reserve which is home to a large variety of bird, animal and plant species. The terrain changes from striking rocky out crops and indigenous vegetation to a large plateau with spectacular views, green wheat fields and long climbs!

The terrain changes and the tempo on the wheat farm becomes more expanded, the climbs longer and challenging. More than anything the views becomes spectacular with a crystal clear view of Table Mountain in the south and the Langebaan Lagoon in the north and the breath-taking rolling hills of Darling. Winding through granite rocks, along wheat fields, cattle camps and the vineyards where Ormonde produce the best West Coast wines. Expect the first water stop after 15 km. The trail follows single tracks, jeep track and narrow farm roads yet it treasures a great flow, tons of bridges, and fast terrain. Expect rugged cliffs on the Bonteberg hill and dense renoster veld to form part of the route – so be prepared for steep and some interesting downhills to take you to a water point on Alexanderfontein olive farm (28km and 41km). The route further follows grassy pathways and gravel tracks with a final climb to a breath taking olive tree plantation. The route returns to the Ormonde vineyards with a background of breath-taking views over the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy a last spectacular water point (38km and 51km) before taking on the final decent to the end.

Worth the drive from just about anywhere, you'll want to ride every inch of trail before you leave!

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...

Keen to do. Can we enter on the day? Cost? Time the 60km start?

Bump! I'd also like to know if there are entries on the day.

I an interested to try and ride this too. From their website:

Online entries are now closed.
You can still enter at:

Chris Willemse, Willowbridge on Wednesday 23 September from 16:00 to 18:00

Or Saturday at !Khwa ttu from 07:00 to 08:00

So it looks like if you arrive early with a pocket full of cash, you can still ride? It would be nice if someone can confirm.

I an interested to try and ride this too. From their website:

Online entries are now closed.

You can still enter at:

Chris Willemse, Willowbridge on Wednesday 23 September from 16:00 to 18:00

Or Saturday at !Khwa ttu from 07:00 to 08:00

So it looks like if you arrive early with a pocket full of cash, you can still ride? It would be nice if someone can confirm.

Contact the Org's and ask them.

Better to get first hand info.

Wow, what an awesome well organised event. The venue was stunning with lots of different stalls with some delicious food.

I just did the 5km route with my son which was great. He couldn't believe the water point where he had people offering him jelly babies, drinks, yoghurt and various other things.

Thanks to the organisers for a day we will remember for a long time.

Wow, what an awesome well organised event. The venue was stunning with lots of different stalls with some delicious food.

Agree, was very well organised and a nice challenging route with some nice singletrack (60km)

One area they can work on is the seeding & timing, was a bit deurmekaar at the start, for the rest - well done organisers!

Looking at the results about half of the entrants did not pitch!

Can't blame them really, weather was terrible in the morning but luckilly cleared up as the day went on (except the wind)

This would explain why we had this weird elaborate seeding/starting system for so few riders...

From the riders perspective I can't complain though, less entrants less congestion on the climbs & singletrack  :devil:

Archived