Continental Protection Sidewall strength

Marlou

Today I experienced a sidewall cut on my rear with my relatively new Continental Mountain King protection tyres. Is Continental making bad sidewalls, or would any tyre suffer a cut with a obstacle of that kind. Would Maxxis crossmark LUST be better? Thanks in advance.

What sort of obstacle did you hit? At what speed and how much weight was over the back?

I cannot comment on the Conti Mountain King but run a Conti Der Kaiser DH tyre on my trials bike which gets bashed into all kind of obstacles with no issues whatsoever.

On my Mtb I run Vredestein Black Panther's and I have not experienced any sidewall cuts.

I wore the knobblies on an MK protection flat with about 6000km of riding. Through the lifetime of that tire experienced one sidewall cut bashing into rocks and denting a rim. Stitched it up with dental floss and it sealed.

Not sure about the obstacle because I was in a race and had no time to lose. Could be a very sharp rock or sharp tree stump. .I weigh about 80kg with gear .I hit it at about 20km/h in a climb with hidden obstacles in long grass. I see now that the cut is also between the sideknobs :(

Yup. LBS says that it can't be used tubeless anymore :( . Purchased a Maxxis Crossmark LUST because of it's "indestructible" sidewalls

Yup. LBS says that it can't be used tubeless anymore :( . Purchased a Maxxis Crossmark LUST because of it's "indestructible" sidewalls

Nee man, fix it. Start out with sewing it shut with dental floss, then glue it with super glue, and finally Patch it up on the inside. Between those three solutions you should get it working again. I'll gladly ride a patched mountain king before I ride a crossmark, the crossmark is a terrible tyre if you like cornering fast.