Wilro Lions Cycle Challenge

Dgas

Hi to all bikehubbers, yesterday at the Wilro 100 race, I lost a wheel - Campag Euro Rear wheel, at an accident involving 2 riders in the elite bunch with +/- 40kms to go.  Please let me know if you know of anybody that might have picked it up.  Please contact me Moses Venceslau: 082 458 3687 or e-mail me at moses@allbikes.co.za.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I saw it on the ground in the grass about 2km after the left hand turn. Was in the grass about 5m off the road, assumed it was left there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to pick up my number. I cannot find a contact number. Look out for the unfit guy with a home printed number in AL.

Did it end up working ok?

Still don't know why we can't print out numbers.

I saw it on the ground in the grass about 2km after the left hand turn. Was in the grass about 5m off the road, assumed it was left there.

Thanks for that, I'm sure someone picked it up for safe keeping.. If anybody knows more about it, please let me know.  Thanks

Thanks for that, I'm sure someone picked it up for safe keeping.. If anybody knows more about it, please let me know.  Thanks

Pop a message on Twitter, will RT.

A quick question to all the seasoned roadies out there regarding yesterday's race, as I'm a roadie newbie.

Do you consider the route back to the start at Tarlton along the N14 (I think) to be acceptable?  This is a NATIONAL (AFAIK) road, which is in POOR condition.  There's no verge, the tar is crumbling and and the road is very narrow, which means the margin for error is tiny.  

There is no way a normal sedan, let alone a 4x4, caravan, truck or bus, can pass cyclists riding in single file when cars are approaching from the front.

1. Is this (level of danger) considered standard, acceptable  practice for road races in the Gauteng?  

2. Do you consider this race to be well-organised and/or well-marshaled?

3. Is it simply a case of HTFU, STFU and place your life in the hands of the average SA  motorist approaching from the rear at 100kmph?

This is not a flame, just a few honest questions.  

A quick question to all the seasoned roadies out there regarding yesterday's race, as I'm a roadie newbie.

Do you consider the route back to the start at Tarlton along the N14 (I think) to be acceptable?  This is a NATIONAL (AFAIK) road, which is in POOR condition.  There's no verge, the tar is crumbling and and the road is very narrow, which means the margin for error is tiny.  

There is no way a normal sedan, let alone a 4x4, caravan, truck or bus, can pass cyclists riding in single file when cars are approaching from the front.

1. Is this (level of danger) considered standard, acceptable  practice for road races in the Gauteng?  

2. Do you consider this race to be well-organised and/or well-marshaled?

3. Is it simply a case of HTFU, STFU and place your life in the hands of the average SA  motorist approaching from the rear at 100kmph?

This is not a flame, just a few honest questions.  

This is what most road races in SA are like.

Some better some worse, but expect that sort of thing when entering normal road races.

The big 3 have full road closure, but bunches are much bigger and more dangerous. To be honest, I have more faith in the average driver than I have in the average Sagan wannabe.

Usually there are a few more marshalls than yesterday though.

• 11 months later...

I will be doing this race for the first time this year 114km, I train very hard and am quite fit, but what advice can you guys give with regards to this race....I'm U23

Take the first half easy, it is very easy to go hard and blow up near the end especially if the wind is blowing

• 2 months later...

Refund? Why?

They've cancelled the race and some people have received a refund on their entry fee. Sadly I am not one of them?

I also got a cancellation and refund mail last week Friday. This morning though I got a "Thanks for your payment" mail with number collection details... Confused...