Sandton EcoMobility Festival: October

ByronH

The Alexanrda route isn't anywhere near Alex? Surely it would make more sense to come up Marlboro and South?

@arabsandals the Alex route is based on the Great Walk which is a CoJ project wherein they are constructing a bridge across the M1 into Wynberg which is for pedestrians and cyclists only. The project is far from completion but at the moment there are cycle lanes on Rautenbache street which connects directly with Grayston. Therefore the route that is mapped is to promote cycling along that route, and since the bridge is not done, the marshals will be used to ensure cyclists pass safely over Grayston into Sandton.

post-18378-0-13637300-1442350243_thumb.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suggested route courtesy V12Man from Bruma to Sandton:

Sylvias pass, houghton past the south side of the golf course, then cross the highway at killarney mall, then through saxonwald to rosebank. staying off oxford, and then Melville to Sandton - on pavement when it becomes Rivonia.

Hi guys. 

Thank you all for your responses. As you may have seen on the Freedom Ride site, I have added routes onto the route map, if you are willing to add your route onto that map please inbox me privately and we can do this.

The more route there is the better for our fellow cyclists.

I travel from Pretoria to Sandton every day. The only option I really have during October is to take the train. Was considering driving to a spot close by and riding in but there aren't any options in terms of parking spots.

I don't believe we have the supporting infrastructure in place to get this right. It's going to be a long month...

I travel from Pretoria to Sandton every day. The only option I really have during October is to take the train. Was considering driving to a spot close by and riding in but there aren't any options in terms of parking spots.

I don't believe we have the supporting infrastructure in place to get this right. It's going to be a long month...

In order for this EcoMobility to stick in the long run, the government would not only need to ensure "safe" cycling and walking lanes in the CBD's, but also supporting infrastructure as you so rightly put it...

1) double the gautrain bus carriages, including a "bicycle car"

2) multi-level, public, parking facilities outside the CBD

And with the cycling lanes... they need to be physically barricaded away from the road...

I would love to cycle to the Rhodesfield Gautrain station and use the train, but I'm not prepared to leave my MTB at the station as I can't take it on the train...

There are options available. There are park and ride facilities that are being setup around Sandton, you could park at one of these spots?

Alternatively, there will be pilot bike share schemes in Sandton at the Gatrain station, so you could take the train in and ride to work. 

I would love to cycle to the Rhodesfield Gautrain station and use the train, but I'm not prepared to leave my MTB at the station as I can't take it on the train...

When I started commuting I use to use my MTB as well, never felt safe locking it up all over the City or at the Gautrain station (even though these are boomed off and have security). I now use an old road bike for my daily commutes, its a lot easier and I can lock it up anywhere without worry. If you thinking about making this trip to Gautrain often, I would suggest you get an old road bike. 

Murmurs around the office also seems to be very negative.

Personally I don't mind using the train, and will do so if I need to go to Sandton.

I have stated before, I would love to use public transport if it was not done in such a "stick a plaster over it" way. No point in having busses that are stuck in the same traffic as everyone else.

How does your route differ to mine? If you comfortable to share?

Morning Commute:

https://www.strava.com/segments/10486266

On the left side of Republic there's a wide shoulder that's cordoned off at the top - almost like a cycle lane :). Careful at the bottom - taxis sometimes pass cars on the dirt. Once in William Nicol I stay on the pavement. 11th is relatively safe - there are pavements if cars are too close for comfort.

Afternoon Commute:

https://www.strava.com/segments/10486278

I don't like the downhill just as you turn into Outstpan. The road is not wide enough for a car to pass, and every so often there is a car that tries to pass. There's a singletrack on the left, but it's full of unexpected holes so it's very slow going down there - I probably should use that hey? That's the only really dangerous bit - but I find the top part of Grayston and turning into 11th undoable in the afternoon so was the best alternative I could find.

I don't want to use the bit of the Spruit between William Nicol and Jan Smuts when I'm alone - not sure how safe it is.

Once I'm in Delta Park it varies - depending on sunset time, how my legs are feeling and weather, I cycle a bit up the spruit - in Summer I can fit in a loop (or sometimes 2) in Emmarentia before heading home.

I'm certainly going to explore your route and see if I can replace the bit between Sandton and bottom of Delta Park with your route - thanks for that!

There are options available. There are park and ride facilities that are being setup around Sandton, you could park at one of these spots?

Alternatively, there will be pilot bike share schemes in Sandton at the Gatrain station, so you could take the train in and ride to work.

Are these Park and ride spots on your website?

Does anyone know if the Gautrain will allow bikes that are not in bags/cases during this time?

No word of them changing any rules during October. Also, there'll be a sharp increase in passengers over this period so space will be very limited.

So, no.

No word of them changing any rules during October. Also, there'll be a sharp increase in passengers over this period so space will be very limited.

So, no.

I did tweet Gautrain, and they indicated they will be increasing the number of carriages... But no word about 'Bikes on a Train'

Archived