Rockshox Pike tokens

rotorbug

If you want to play with the air volume and find a single token too much of a change, get someone to machine a token down in length so you have a half token.

You could also cut one with a hacksaw if you not fussy about the finish.

Edited by rotorbug

Huh,why not just reduce the air pressure? That is what I have done and it is fine.

Don't think you understand how the Pike fork works with a comment like that!

More tokens allow less pressure to be run which creates better small bump compliance but stops the fork from bottoming out on big jumps.

More tokens allow less pressure to be run which creates better small bump compliance but stops the fork from bottoming out on big jumps.

I'm rather new to my Pike, and haven't really fiddled with much other than setting the pressure right and slowing the rebound down.

Please can you give us some insight into how the tokens work, and what you would do with the pressure. Have seen them in the packet, yet never really thought about them since, what real difference do they make, I am very happy with the way it feels now, but always interested in it being better.

I'm rather new to my Pike, and haven't really fiddled with much other than setting the pressure right and slowing the rebound down.

Please can you give us some insight into how the tokens work, and what you would do with the pressure. Have seen them in the packet, yet never really thought about them since, what real difference do they make, I am very happy with the way it feels now, but always interested in it being better.

Basically the Tokens reduce the air volume, which makes the "spring rate" ramp up faster as the fork compresses. This means that it will stop the fork from diving through its travel even if you run softer pressure for more compliance.

Check the graph below to see this ramp up.

post-4091-0-17332200-1440406923_thumb.gif

Basically the Tokens reduce the air volume, which makes the "spring rate" ramp up faster as the fork compresses. This means that it will stop the fork from diving through its travel even if you run softer pressure for more compliance.

attachicon.gifPIKE-air-volume-adjustments-bottomless-tokens.gif

Thanks very much, makes sense.

If I were to start with 1 token for now how much air pressure should I drop? 5%, 10%

Thanks very much, makes sense.

If I were to start with 1 token for now how much air pressure should I drop? 5%, 10%

Its such a personal thing. I dropped about 10psi when I put 2 tokens in. I just can remember where I am now.

attachicon.gifPIKE-air-volume-adjustments-bottomless-tokens.gif

@rotorbug Looking at the graphs from Noli's post. Less tokens would give you better small bump compliance but in turn allowing the fork to be more linear.

I have gone from 1 token to 3 tokens, 20% sag to 30% sag. This is on a Pike RC not the RCT3. While riding my bike in the alps and trying to find a setup to help with hand breaking chatter of braking bumps I have gone back from 3 tokens to 1 token but added 3 to 4 clicks (depending on the trail) of compression. The added compression helps with fork dive in corners (my nemesis) while allowing the pike to still feel like butter in the first bit of it's travel.

The most important this about bike setup though is "different strokes for different folks".

Edit: I say what I said above because I feel people put too much importance on "How many tokens are you running?" and forget that while tokens are cool and play an important role, it is not the be all and end all of the pike. There are other settings to fiddle with on the fork that may be the answer to ones setup other than adding or removing tokens.

Edited by Nofearnofun

@rotorbug Looking at the graphs from Noli's post. Less tokens would give you better small bump compliance but in turn allowing the fork to be more linear.

snip

Sadly what the graph shows is the curves for the same air pressure. In reality, you would start with a lower pressure which would allow the new graph to run below the factory one and then ramp up at the end to either meet it or climb above it.

This will give you better than factory small bump compliance along with better resistance to bottoming.

Like This.

post-4091-0-78819100-1440412992_thumb.jpg

Edited by nolipoli

yes I think I should know seeing that I HAVE ONE and did my homework on it,don't see why you would do it. As the guys said above rather play with the other settings and air pressure,instead of hacking your tokens. Edited by Bizkit031

You can use tokens in other air forks?

I have heard of guys putting spacers into the positive chamber of the Revelation fork to achieve the same thing?

You can use tokens in other air forks?

I have heard of guys putting spacers into the positive chamber of the Revelation fork to achieve the same thing?

Yes you can.