Xtr m970 crank comparability

Beerfan

Hi I have an m970 xtr crank, it is meant for a 3x9 set up but I am changing the rest of the drive train to a 10speed. From what I understand there is a difference in the space between the front rings that would not shift well with the 10speed chain. I will Chang to 10x3 eventually but have th xtr crank already, is what I want to do going to have an issue ? I am cry particular about smooth shifting. Thanks for any advice or experience in advance.

10 spd chain won't work on the 9spd front Crank rings. You can't mix 9 and 10 speed. 10 speed is slightly narrower than a 9 spd system. If you change the cassette and chain you can try find 10 speed Crank rings that will fit the Crank, however you need to change the shifters and most likely the derailleurs as well. Best to leave as is or buy a complete 10spd system upgrade or sell the bike.

I have changed everything except the crank, so it won't wok on 3x9 chainings ? It seams to shift just fine on the work stand ?

10 spd chain won't work on the 9spd front Crank rings. You can't mix 9 and 10 speed. 10 speed is slightly narrower than a 9 spd system. If you change the cassette and chain you can try find 10 speed Crank rings that will fit the Crank, however you need to change the shifters and most likely the derailleurs as well. Best to leave as is or buy a complete 10spd system upgrade or sell the bike.

Mine does...

I have changed everything except the crank, so it won't wok on 3x9 chainings ? It seams to shift just fine on the work stand ?

The chain will eventually catch and cause chain suck. Whether or not it works for some it won't work properly for long and you will wreck your chain quicker. I am a bike mechanic and deal with these matters every day at my workshop.

The chain will eventually catch and cause chain suck. Whether or not it works for some it won't work properly for long and you will wreck your chain quicker. I am a bike mechanic and deal with these matters every day at my workshop.

What exactly is the difference between a 9 spd chain and a 10 spd chain?

What exactly is the difference between a 9 spd chain and a 10 spd chain?

The width. A 10 spd chain is slightly narrower than the 9 you can Google the dimensions . This is because the 10 spd cassette fits on a the same freehub size as an 8/9/10 speed freehub. Each cassette is more compact to fit an extra sprocket, thus the 10 spd chain is narrower. The tooth size on the sprockets and Crank rings are broader hence the tendency to catch.

Spacer widths (From Shimano tech docs)

8 Spd: 3.00mm9 Spd: 2.56mm10 Spd: 2.35mm (1.0mm for lower spacer)

Cog/Tooth Width (From Sheldon Brown)

8 Spd: 1.8mm9 Spd: 1.78mm10 Spd: 1.6mm

Chain widths (From wikipedia)*

8 speed - 7.1mm (all brands)9 speed - 6.6 to 6.8mm (all brands)10 speed - 6.2mm (Shimano, Campagnolo)10 speed(Narrow, Direction) - 5.88mm (Shimano CN-5700,CN-6700,CN-7900)

*These chain widths are the standard widths, which I assume are recommended. I wouldn't go wider, but a narrower chain will probably work as some chains are cross-compatible.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c2/c2ecb063b462a2c8d81479aee4caf3b2145fccf7b90c8e80cc5d6a4000a5e32e.jpg

Hi I have an m970 xtr crank, it is meant for a 3x9 set up but I am changing the rest of the drive train to a 10speed. From what I understand there is a difference in the space between the front rings that would not shift well with the 10speed chain. I will Chang to 10x3 eventually but have th xtr crank already, is what I want to do going to have an issue ? I am cry particular about smooth shifting. Thanks for any advice or experience in advance.

I wouldn't worry. What matters most is that your chain and cassette are the same speed.

Just use it as is for now and see how it goes. Maybe an occasional cable or derailleur adjustment down the line but for the most part it should be fully functional. I have mixed 8, 9 and 10 speed parts several times on bikes and they've worked well for the longest time. Infact. One of my bikes at the moment has 10 speed triple crank converted to 2x with bash gaurd. The same bike has a 9 speed rear mech, chain and cassette. I also never bothered changing my front shifter or derailleur when I switched from 3x to 2x crank setup. Just limited the front derailleur screw so it can't shift to the non existent big ring. It works just fine. That bike has had that setup for over a year and I think I only needed the gears set again when i serviced the bike after a few months. 

There are limits to what you can do in terms of mixing stuff sure.

But you've seen it shift fine yourself. Nothing to be overly concerned over.

So, what do those dimensions apply to ? The inside width (i.e between the inner sideplates) or the outer? Just curious.

Outer

I actually used the very same crank with a kmc 10 speed chain for some time without any issues / chain suck or bad shifting. However M960 has a bit of an issue with the chain dropping between the rings. I have played with one of those also and 9sp chain is a must on the m960.

m970 + 10speed chain (I used KMC X10, XTR, and XT 10speed chains) - no problem from my experience.

Outer

Thank you.

So a 10 spd chain has the same inner dimensions as a 9 spd chain, but but is slightly narrower on the outside dimension. This is because the side plates are thinner, I;m assuming?

So why will a  10 spd chain not work on 9 rings and cassette?

Archived