Review: Lapierre Zesty AM427

Iwan Kemp

The Zesty is available with 29" wheels with 120mm travel front and rear and 27.5" with 150mm travel front and rear. Lapierre feel that both wheel sizes offer benefits and that the compromise of making a 130mm+ 29er would be too large. The 27.5" carries an AM (All Mountain) moniker while the 120mm 29er falls under their Trail (TR) range.

Click here to view the article

Great looking bike, but not a value proposition in my opinion. A 150mm FOX 32 Evo on a R44k bike? Ooh, eh, eh. 

Have read of a lot of riders whose legs and feet rub against those massive seatstays. Would be an absolute deal breaker for me. 

Nice review Iwan.

The wide chainstays are not really a deal breaker, you get used to them. The 2015 model is an improvement on the 2014's anyway. Those are wide !!

It's like you say in your review, this is pretty much a get on and go bike !  

I enjoy the wide rear end A LOT!! Super stiff and being one who rides both cleated and flats I have no particular hassle with any noticeable scuffing or knocking or obstruction. I actually have none of that when riding cleated. I guess it all depends on your foot size etc.

As for alloy frames - will always remain my mainstay frame choice specially because of the longevity it offers.

I did however custom build my own as elements of the std 2015 build kit doesn't lend to the true character of the frame capabilities. Same goes for most Trail and AM completes that one buys out there. Suspension platform and wheelset , for starters, inevitably need upgrading in most instances. Once a wise build kit has been thought out for a particular frame then it is that one truly experiences the limitations of a frame and one's own abilities ;)  Like the PYGAs the Lapierres ride like .... as if an intimate ride experience is inherent once straddled and hammered.

No such thing as getting used to it ;)

As stated above :

""The Lapierre Zesty is like your favourite pair of jeans that just "fit".

On my first ride, I was already trying to figure out how I could make it mine, as it's pure, uncomplicated fun. Like mountain biking should be.""

See my personal Zesty TR329 full alloy frame 9r Trail custom here :

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126041-your-enduro-ride/page-231

and the most recent Zesty TR529 carbon/alloy 9r Trail custom here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126041-your-enduro-ride/page-234

Another worthy point to make is that the std complete kits in the various Trail and AM models offered is more than enough for most riders out there. However, for the aggressive and competitive Enduro racer the suspension platform & wheelset/tire upgrade will be essential. As well as simplifying things to a 1x10 & 1x11 config.

And the vids of the Legend Nico on the TR29 series and AM650B series are great eloquent visual expressions.

No such thing as getting used to it ;)

Exactly. What was strange was that the bike felt dialed from the off. Like getting in a mates car and the seat, steering and mirrors are all exactly how you like them and the clutch and brake feel is exactly like your own. To the point where you notice just how little there is to notice. 

Get on and ride. Repeat.  

• 2 weeks later...

Another great detail worth highlighting is the flip chip essentially making the frame 26" compatible as well !! Keeping the rad head angle the Zesty AM has in that wheel size mode.

So, you can run both wheel sizes and 26" as well as 27.5" fork on this frame. Great stuff ;)

I'll post the images on my Hub ad for the Zesty AM427

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=155707&new=1