Open water swims in Cape Town

Ratty

the canal is currently empty.there is a heritage day swim coming Thursday at oceana powerboat club in granger bay.distances 800,1,6 and 4,8. have a look on ntri website.

the canal is currently empty.there is a heritage day swim coming Thursday at oceana powerboat club in granger bay.distances 800,1,6 and 4,8. have a look on ntri website.

ATC is still doing swims from the other side of Dock Road.  Not the whole canal is empty just from the bridge at the City Lodge to the next bridge just after the circle.

Disylizzy, on 21 Sept 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

ATC is still doing swims from the other side of Dock Road.  Not the whole canal is empty just from the bridge at the City Lodge to the next bridge just after the circle.

thanks.just saw the ground and earthmoving equipment during the week at my normal swimming place.

thanks.just saw the ground and earthmoving equipment during the week at my normal swimming place.

Here's the link: https://www.atcmultisport.club/training, under the "i" button, it gives the information for the canal swims now.

Besides, there is some water in the canal... (picture taken last week, didn't take one this morning while onsite)

post-12560-0-68061100-1442828461_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Thurman

Hi there,

does anyone know if Zandvlei near Lakeside is safe for swimming?

cheers, j

Hi there,

cheers, j

I kitesurf in there and haven't died or caught any nasties.  

Just watch out for the coral (or whatever it is) on the bottom - it crumbles when you touch it, but its like millions of razor blades that slice you up easily, and it always seems to take weeks to heal.

Hi there,

cheers, j

In summer there is a lot of watergrass.

So I never managed to get a practice swim in before Slanghoek, however I absolutely loved the swim.  The dam is more a blue / green colour as apposed to the Brown/red colour of Grabouw.  Almost feel like swimming in the ocean. 

What was great as well is that we were allowed to warm up in the dam before the actual race which gave me time to get used to it.

There is a serious of races coming up at the Worcester Yacht club so excited to try my first 1km swim.

Looking at their website, they allow day visitors to come and swim so if anyone is looking for somewhere to practice, this looks like a good option

http://www.wyc.co.za/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thurman

there are also a few dams up Red Hill

(be cautious of muggers though)

Guest Thurman

So I never managed to get a practice swim in before Slanghoek, however I absolutely loved the swim.  The dam is more a blue / green colour as apposed to the Brown/red colour of Grabouw.  Almost feel like swimming in the ocean. 

What was great as well is that we were allowed to warm up in the dam before the actual race which gave me time to get used to it.

There is a serious of races coming up at the Worcester Yacht club so excited to try my first 1km swim.

Looking at their website, they allow day visitors to come and swim so if anyone is looking for somewhere to practice, this looks like a good option

http://www.wyc.co.za/

thanks for the info and good to hear all went well! :)

Archived