Cyclist mugged below Rhodes Memorial

Nick

Very sad to hear.

I was mugged at gunpoint once and know that there is nothing you can do. My martial arts training kicked in and told me to remain calm and listen to the attacker. There was a brief moment when the attacker looked over his shoulder at which point I wanted to grab the gun and elbow him in the jaw. But then my common sensed kicked in and said your items are not worth your life. 

Good job on staying calm and focused. 

Good to know common sense is alive and well

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sad to hear. I always cycle alone and just started to get comfortable with the newlands trail. Was planing a ride there tomorrow :( guess my rides there will just have to be canceled.

Been wanting to make my pepper spray cannister more accessible during rides. The velcro strap sold with the cannister is rather poorly constructed with loose stitching etc. so I took an old headlight battery pouch (with velcro strap) and found that the can fits snug (40ml can, 'direct stream' type). When strapped to the shoulder strap of my backpack the pouch moved around quite a bit. Prefer the shoulder strap location because it really feels like the most accessible place that I can think of. Pockets or hip mount scares me coz of the potential impact during a fall. And on the mountain I have my fare share of falls/fails :ph34r: .

To secure the pouch to the shoulder strap of my backpack I added an old velcro strap that's usually used to secure a hand pump to a frame. Success. Pouch wasn't in the way during my test ride on my local trails this morning and didn't move around at all. In fact, after a while, I completely forgot that it was there. Let's hope that I remember where to find it in the event of an emergency, and that I never land on it during a fall. More importantly. Here's hoping that I'll never have to use it. Fingers and toes crossed ;) .
post-11091-0-81061600-1517750514_thumb.jpg
post-11091-0-62532300-1517750542_thumb.jpg

Archived