Steel Inserts on American Classic Freebody.

Wannabe

SO MUCH POWER!!

Pure Savagery. :ph34r:

Did a Taalmonument climb without the inserts, that's the result. :thumbdown:

Edited by Wannabe

No luck. Seems that I had to use the old inserts when replacing the FB.   Ask Jaco from Cycles Direct to phone the agents "Cape Cycle Systems" (not sure of name).  They have done it for me in the past.

Tx Surfer.

Jaco got back to me, no luck.

And the Agents don't supply it loose, only as part of a new FB. (they say it is pressed in)

Can't find inserts anywhere.

Got a brainwave, checked on some available bladed spokes, found one exactly the right width, cut them to size, and voila. A tight fit.

Just dont know how durable it will be, but at least it will prevent the cassette from eating into the freebody.

Cassettes eating into the freebody is an known issue on the AC mtb hubs. Its the same on my AC hubs, never had metal inserts and the cassete has properly eaten into the freebody. But still nothing rolls as smooth as the AC hubs.

Yes, in the region of R1000.00

Can get get a new, but older stock, one for a bit less than that though.

Would love some feedback on your experience with the makeshift (spoke) inserts. Might just be called on to look at doing something similar some day.

It seems that the shop you went to made a bit of an oopsie.

I'd go back and nicely ask them to cough up for a new free body...

Had to do an emergency repair to my rear wheel at a bikeshop I do not normaly use. (breakdown on a training ride)

They did not put the inserts back when putting the cassette back on. Only realised this when I took the cassette off again to do a proper clean of the wheel.

Now they do not have the parts anymore (can't find it)

edit: worse part is that the cassette has already eaten into my freebody after only a 60km ride. Was a struggle to get it off.

It seems that the shop you went to made a bit of an oopsie.

I'd go back and nicely ask them to cough up for a new free body...

I was in constant contact with them, not a peep as to help with cost/ source a new free body.

Guess what, not ever going to go there again.