Best Bike in Africa 2015: #6 Transition Patrol

News bot

Scary thought,Banshee,Evil and Knolly sells a lot of their bike models out long before the new year models come out because they are just so damn awesome. But the R/$ is killing them here in SA,the bigger companies have more buying power as well. You have to consider if you want something that everyone is riding or something individual,unfortunately individuality costs money.

And getting back to the topic: Transition were sold out in some countries (2015 model range) before they even delivered the bikes! There is already a waiting list for the Patrol Carbon,and it's a R40k+ frame.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary thought,Banshee,Evil and Knolly sells a lot of their bike models out long before the new year models come out because they are just so damn awesome. But the R/$ is killing them here in SA,the bigger companies have more buying power as well. You have to consider if you want something that everyone is riding or something individual,unfortunately individuality costs money.

Problem is, individuality stops at the frame design, and the frame price isn't my major issue.  The poor buying power of these "niche brands" make them unreasonably expensive, not because they are somehow unique beyond name and design (as opposed to tech and ride quality), but because it costs them a sh*t ton of money to build the bike for you, essentially passing the cost on to you.

So really, if being unique means picking up the tab for a small outfit, then please show me the way down stream.

And besides, the desire to be unique, is not unique.  So inevitably you find yourself seeing your "one of a kind" bike all over the show.

And getting back to the topic: Transition were sold out in some countries (2015 model range) before they even delivered the bikes! There is already a waiting list for the Patrol Carbon,and it's a R40k+ frame.

yeah, I've seen that. Crazy! Is the hype real, though? I know Jors Opman (based in the UK, used to be here in Stellies) LOVES his Patrol and reckons it's the best bike he's ever ridden, and Capricorn loves his... 

Hey, at least they give u a sticker pack with the purchase. 

I just get so bummed when you see a nice bike, then inquire about the price and have your heart broken.

I am sometimes to embarrassed to ask for prices in stores, i dont want to be THAT guy but i suppose i am not alone.

Naa you not. for prices you just need to be seated

yeah, I've seen that. Crazy! Is the hype real, though? I know Jors Opman (based in the UK, used to be here in Stellies) LOVES his Patrol and reckons it's the best bike he's ever ridden, and Capricorn loves his...

If you are a size large you can try mine ( including the sticker pack) in December!

Sweet. I'm here until the 22nd. 

It'll be the first time the Reign would have been ridden properly... :)

Clearly you have not seen me on a bike...I'm definitely not in your league.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! 

What league was that, Rudolph? Noobville? 

Oh, the modesty....But seriously, the first time I rode a DH bike was in December. I still won't make the top 30 at Hakahana, never mind podiums with the likes of  Garlicki and Potties. (Like some people I know.)

Edited by Samurai Pizza Cat

Problem is, individuality stops at the frame design, and the frame price isn't my major issue.  The poor buying power of these "niche brands" make them unreasonably expensive, not because they are somehow unique beyond name and design (as opposed to tech and ride quality), but because it costs them a sh*t ton of money to build the bike for you, essentially passing the cost on to you. So really, if being unique means picking up the tab for a small outfit, then please show me the way down stream. And besides, the desire to be unique, is not unique.  So inevitably you find yourself seeing your "one of a kind" bike all over the show.

Maybe in Jozi and CPT you see the same bike as what everyone else rides but I know for a fact that I have the only Spitty in KZN so for now I am individual.

So you need to make a plan and ride Karkloof and Howick when you down.

I was STRONGLY thinking about it, but then decided not to add a bike ticket. May need to revisit that decision... :)

Oh, the modesty....But seriously, the first time I rode a DH bike was in December. I still won't make the top 30 at Hakahana, never mind podiums with the like of  Garlicki and Potties. (Like some people I know.)

Hahahahaha! No. Seriously. I wish I had as much talent as Pottie... Or even half his talent. 

You may be confusing me with Myles Kelsey? Sponsored by BOS iced tea?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! 

What league was that, Rudolph? Noobville? 

BTW - this is way past my pay-grade... 

Now that you bring pictures into the equation: It took my 10 days to do that. The first time I stopped on the lip of that drop I was physically sick. I did the run in almost 20 times to get an idea of the speed required. It looks a lot more difficult than it really is.

Getting back to the Trail grading post: This is on a Blue line. 

Edited by Samurai Pizza Cat