147km remaining from 183km

The peloton reaches Lourdes and boy have those opening 36 kilometres been covered quickly.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

????????????????????????

It's an absolutely blistering start to the day as 51km are covered in the first hour of racing by a peloton that is still all together

ATT SCOTTY

52 km covered now and it's still all together, though Michael Morkov, who has been struggling ever since he crashed on the opening stage, is losing contact at the back of the bunch.

The attacks continue with the French teams trying to make something stick. The road is already rising and we're not too far away from the intermediate sprint at Esquièze-Sère at km67.

Cofidis' Dani Navarro, who was in the break yesterday, is at it again, and is away at the head of the race. He got a gap with Tom Dumoulin and Mickael Chérel, but has a gap on his own now.

The counter attacks come thick and fast and we have a large group emerging now ahead of the peloton.

The race situation has exploded and is ever-changing as we make our way up this beast of a climb. Thibaut Pinot, whose GC ambitions were left in tatters yesterday, has attacked. Meanwhile Team Sky set the pace in the peloton, which is rapidly thinning out already.

Julian Alaphilippe attacks! The Frenchman lost the white jersey yesterday to Adam Yatest but is still well up there on GC.

The break: Wout Poels (Sky), Jesus Herrada (Movistar), Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana), Mikaël Chérel (AG2R-La Mondiale), Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo), Stef Clement (IAM), Dylan van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac), Tom Dumoulin (Giant), Paul Voss (Bora), Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha), Romain Sicard (Direct Energie), Dani Navarro (Cofidis) and Michael Matthews (Orica-BikeExchange).

Rafal Majka has joined Pinot at the head of the race. The Pole tried his luck in the break on the Massif Central stage and is already well down on GC. At the moment it's those two who lead the race.

Archived