This tour is definitely an unexpected surprise with the top podium finishes... I've hopelessly selected all the wrong riders...

Maybe some magic is yet to be revealed in the rest of the tour... anything can happen, I keep telling myself... ????

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, it's not the first time that inflatables have been an issue.. but it's the first time a rider has been hurt because of it.. last year we must have seen 2/3 inflatables deflate during the spring classics.

Same with the motorbikes plenty incidents but they only act after a rider is killed.

A tangential thought - are there any such inflatables used in local mass-participation SA races eg 947, Argus, Amashova? Probably? If so, let's hope the organisers of these events are reviewing their risk-assessment?

A tangential thought - are there any such inflatables used in local mass-participation SA races eg 947, Argus, Amashova? Probably? If so, let's hope the organisers of these events are reviewing their risk-assessment?

A lot of the riders are inflatables... And may be at risk. But it's a bit insensitive to point that out? :whistling:

lets say Yates broke a bone or two with the banner falling down.

could he hold the tour responsible and sue ?

Pretty sure there's indemnity cover for ASO

Guesswork from my side

Funny you should say that, we are all human after all and even in a risk assessment we tend to miss things

If I did a risk assessment and I missed something my boss would have to ask the question if I was negligent or could the occurrence reasonably be put down to unforeseen.

Going through the risk management process doesn't mean that all risks will be mitigated but at least it should account for something as basic as a "random dude walking past the banner and getting his belt buckle caught."

Sure it's not fool proof but there is considerable value in the process. The costs of these risks should it occur outweight the cost of the risk management process.

Incidents such as inflatable collapsing while extremely rare can happen, i don't see it as gross negligent on the organizers part. Take the incident like the rider taken out by the buck a few years back, rare but did happen.  

Aaaaand back to what is an incredible TDF for Didata. Loving it.

Mountain goats can you all bring your climbing legs for today. Stand and be counted.

A lot of the riders are inflatables... And may be at risk. But it's a bit insensitive to point that out? :whistling:

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

Committed to an afternoon MTB ride so will have to record it and give the Hub a miss until then. 

If I did a risk assessment and I missed something my boss would have to ask the question if I was negligent or could the occurrence reasonably be put down to unforeseen.

Going through the risk management process doesn't mean that all risks will be mitigated but at least it should account for something as basic as a "random dude walking past the banner and getting his belt buckle caught."

Sure it's not fool proof but there is considerable value in the process. The costs of these risks should it occur outweight the cost of the risk management process.

I fail to see how that would've been a finding in a risk assessment...

Most people's belt buckles are beneath a t-shirt, sweater, etc. I doubt the culprit was a cowboy too... so in my case, I would missed that finding, however, the cable/tie rope of the arch should've been secured better from getting caught on say someone's rucksack or similar... so yeah, like I said, something I would've missed...

As to the inflatable arch collapse I had a brief experience with these arches for Red Bull in the Roof and they had an old bugger who put that thing up but properly and posted a guard on the generator for the fan pump. Africa can teach the Frogs something?

Tough decisions yesterday  - did we want a Pommie riding for an SA team to win the stage or a Saffer riding for an Oz team?

It's like something has to go wrong first before someone thinks. When the stakes are so high there should really be risk assessments and some contingency plan.

When u see what goes on during a major stage race everyday there is no way it could ever pass a risk assessment, what with spectators etc almost having free reign on the side of the road there are way to many variables out of the organisors control.

Personally I think its a BS story that the plug was pulled out accidentally....

Just look at some of the clowns standing on the side of the road more interested in being seen on TV than the actual racing.

I can't comment on the Tour's procedures, but can for local races.

I've seen an inflatable drop at the race I'm involved with. It takes half the time to fall compared to the time it takes to re-inflate it.

The CSA guide for race organisers mentions a fixed structure across the line as the preferred option. However, it requires an engineers certificate which costs money. That's why inflatables are used.

If an inflatable is used, a backup generator is required, as well sufficient fuel. Then there's the H&S side requiring a fire extinguisher.

A person needs to be responsible for the inflatable and generator, but often they get caught up in the action.

Contador going to Trek Segafreddo next year.

Yip... the rumour was going around a few weeks ago.

Wonder if Frank Schlek will retire or if he will stay on and work for Bert..that would be something hey [emoji23]

Archived