What is a Lefty?

xnadu

Yeah I recall. They sponsored the xc series amongst other events. Earned a bad rep with the 3.0 and 2.8 road bike frames when they cracked at the rear drop outs.

The article above seems to suggest Cannondale were concerned with qc at specialized and didn't trust that they could manufacture the fork reliably or with reliability. That's actually still true today as it's the only system Cannondale stillproduces in Bedford pennsylvania. Frames and road forks all come from China but lefty still made in the USA

Agreed, that is my take on it as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Torsion is created by an eccentric load. As long as the wheel is centered below the headtube (thus no eccentric load) there should be no more torsion than a regular fork.

Where the hub connects to the....fork rod shock you'll find some torsion. But the stiffness of the fork (double crowned + needle bearing tech) makes up for that "weak spot".

Hmmm yes ....my bad. In my defence I had only just woken up.

So...rider's weight is transmitted through an off-centre strut. This creates both a longitudinal force in the strut and a torsion at the headset due to the strut being off-centre which becomes a bending moment in the strut (trying to bow the strut outwards).

these are countered by the wheel being similarly off-centre at the end of the strut (opposing bending moment from the stub axle). The strut is subjected to both longitudinal and bending forces whereas in a conventional fork, these outward bending forces would be balanced somewhat by the opposite leg.

I've ridden a lefty clad bike since they launched, 1st a Cannondale then a number of normal tapered headset frames. And in all that time I've never gone round in circles or had torsional strain on my frame at the headset. Riding hands free on a lefty equiped bike is exactly the same as on any other bike.

I now import lefty adapters and lefty hubs from Project321 who built a business on riders putting lefty struts on non Cannondale frames. Chatting to Jake, he cannot recall one instance of headtube issues where his adapter has been used on a either a straight or tapered headtube.

I have fitted a number to clients' bikes and have had no issues. Other than the appreciation of a great suspension system.

We have just landed an adapter and lefty hub for the Lefty Supermax, a long travel beefed up lefty for more aggresive riders.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1100/j3yxlj/products/95/images/451/lefty_supermax_hub_turq_lg__14663.1444916694.1280.1280.jpg?c=2