What is a Lefty?

xnadu

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me rephrase, I know it's a shock, but the lefty is not a fork....

.......usually the fork is held by the lefty.

Hi xnadu,

These videos should give you a better idea of what Leftys are about and why Cannondale think they are superior:

pure propaganda videos that  :ph34r:

Let me rephrase, I know it's a shock, but the lefty is not a fork....

Exactly - that is why forks are for eating and Lefties are for Racing !!

And here i thought lefty  isa bike  for people thats left handed

Yes, that's a polite term for those who have the front brake on the left side of the handlebar

And here i thought lefty isa bike for people thats left handed

You are unknowingly 50% there. The suspension device in question is actually know as an unilateral hydrolic seismic wave deaccelerator with gradual compensation action. Located on the left of the bicycle it resulted in a centre of gravity shift to the left of the dead centre as measured at the bottom bracket. Subsequently it has resulted that a slight inclination to the right is noticed when riding the bike as the cyclist tries to compensate for the shift in centre of gravity. However, in adverse conditions where the cyclist looses control of the bicycle and over corrects, the centre of gravity comes into play again........resulting always in a crash to the left.

And that is why it is known as a LEFTY.......according to Ripleys

You are unknowingly 50% there. The suspension device in question is actually know as an unilateral hydrolic seismic wave deaccelerator with gradual compensation action. Located on the left of the bicycle it resulted in a centre of gravity shift to the left of the dead centre as measured at the bottom bracket. Subsequently it has resulted that a slight inclination to the right is noticed when riding the bike as the cyclist tries to compensate for the shift in centre of gravity. However, in adverse conditions where the cyclist looses control of the bicycle and over corrects, the centre of gravity comes into play again........resulting always in a crash to the left.

And that is why it is known as a LEFTY.......according to Ripleys

What a load of "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" :whistling:

Forces on your headtube wise: There's no additional torsion. It's actually better because it holds on the top and bottom of the steerer tube, which spreads the load better between your headset bearings.

...It's a spork

A Lefty definitely does induce torsion in a bike frame compared to a normal fork. Unless bike and rider are weightless, there is no way that it couldn't.

Not disputing the dual crown spreads the load a bit but overall there is still torsion. However, I can't recall hearing of any frame breakages caused by this effect. Maybe the stresses of normal riding are greater and frames are inherently strong enough anyway.

What I always wanted to know is if anyone has ever thought of bolting two of them together and making a downhill fork. I mean if they are supposed to be so strong and stiff and smooth compared to a regular fork then just imagine how awesome 2 of them would be together?

Archived