[Event] Fairtree Capital Simonsberg Contour MTB Stage Race

Dirtopia MTB Events

Awesome event! Well organised.

Water points had ice cold drinks and food no matter if you were in front or a back marker. Well marked and the food etc at the finish was fantastic all in all an awesome experience.

Long route is definitely not for the faint hearted. Was a little sick this weekend but decided to ride in any case and boy did I pay the school fees for that.

Kudos to Meurant and his team. This was definitely one for the books.

you could have paid with your life dude!

Awesome event! Well organised.

Water points had ice cold drinks and food no matter if you were in front or a back marker. Well marked and the food etc at the finish was fantastic all in all an awesome experience.

Long route is definitely not for the faint hearted. Was a little sick this weekend but decided to ride in any case and boy did I pay the school fees for that.

Kudos to Meurant and his team. This was definitely one for the books.

Awesome event made even more awesome considering the hill was ablaze only 3 weeks ago!

Well done Meurant - Great job!

Cool little race village too. Ashburnton could learn a thing or two from this event (Compared to last weekend in Meerendal)

Big thumbs up and a must do!

I really enjoyed the event. I was asked to sweep the 40km route, so essentially I came in right at the end each day. I was thankful that it was not as hot as a few weeks ago, because even if you ride at a very leisurely pace at the back, the elements can still make it tough. Here are my thoughts from the back of the race:

1. Riders all seemed to be very well prepared. I only saw one rider with a serious technical issue. On day 1 a guy ripped off his RD in the first 5km. It was a downhill back-track for him back to the start line. I saw no punctures or chain breaks. (I had 4 x spare tubes and 4 x chain links, amongst other things in my camelbak, all unused)

2. While it was not excessively hot, riders still dehidrated at the back. I think the water points were great and well spaced, but riders at the back does not seem to think too much about additional supplements / electrolytes. I handed out 18 sachets of rehidrate over 2 days 

3. The guys at the back grouped together very nicely to get everyone at the back home safely. It made the job of sweeping much easier as there was no risk of riders wandering off course on their own.

4. Litter was kept to a minimum. I collected about 4 x bottles (I emptied them and put them in my camelbak) and handed them in at the race office. I maybe rode past another 4 or 5 in 2 days with no more space to put them in my pack. I did not see any gu / energy bar wrappers out on the trail, so well done to all for that.

5. I had a radio on a large part of day 2 as I had to sweep some additional long route Single Track sections. You only get an appreciation of the logistics and coordination required to keep so many plates in the air successfully. Every 2 minutes there were comms coming through to the various water points, marshalls, vehicle sweeps, medics, etc with anything from evac's, to emergency trail repairs to collection and re deployment of personnel and equipment on the route.

It seemed like everyone really had a good time. The vibe at the finish was still going strong. Usually when you sweep, you come home to an empty venue with only the cooldrink truck and a few officials hanging around. The setup was open and inviting for friends and family to spend time afterwards, have a few beers and share the days riding experience. Its so much nicer than just packing everything up and going home straight after the days' riding.

Excellent event! Well organised and great value for money. I will be back next year for sure. Great work to Meurant and his team.

Was a great event.

Pretty sure the singletrack on Day2 is going reach legendary status and it must have been a monumental effort to get those trails rideable after the fire.

Well done Meurant and team will definitely be back