Stans 29er wheels: ZTR Gold wheelset

Cycler

Hi

Anybody with with experience of these lightweight wheels? I would like an opinion(s).

Spokes are very thin. I am 75kg. Weight limit is 80. Should I? I don't want to replace spokes every weekend.

Opinions much appreciated Thank you.

My 2c. They flex like hell - too few spokes (nothing wrong with thin spokes - as long as there are enough).  Keep them for racing and expect some problems.  I would rather go for a Crest for light or Arch EX for everyday.

Hi

Anybody with with experience of these lightweight wheels? I would like an opinion(s).

Spokes are very thin. I am 75kg. Weight limit is 80. Should I? I don't want to replace spokes every weekend.

Opinions much appreciated Thank you.

That's 80kg with kit.

My 2c. They flex like hell - too few spokes (nothing wrong with thin spokes - as long as there are enough).  Keep them for racing and expect some problems.  I would rather go for a Crest for light or Arch EX for everyday.

Ok thanks. i don't want an extra mtnbike wheelset. I want to train/ride/do multiday stage races with them. What is best then? thanks

Ok thanks. i don't want an extra mtnbike wheelset. I want to train/ride/do multiday stage races with them. What is best then? thanks

Carbon rims on hope hubs - just my opinion...

The Race Gold's are about as stiff as a wet noodle.

At your weight, Crest rims with some good hubs, like the Hope Pro 2 Evo or Stan's 3.30 (I ride with Crests on Tune hubs, super light) will be sufficient for everyday riding and racing.

As V12man mentioned, Carbon would be best if you could afford them

The WTB Kom is also popular for a light general purpose set - built on Hopes (or Novatec if you want less expensive).  The WTB Frequency or Sun Ringle Inferno rims will give you something more like the Arch EX.  Email me at dave@spokeandspanner.co.za if you want price details for what I can offer.

The WTB Kom is also popular for a light general purpose set - built on Hopes (or Novatec if you want less expensive). The WTB Frequency or Sun Ringle Inferno rims will give you something more like the Arch EX. Email me at dave@spokeandspanner.co.za if you want price details for what I can offer.

Can vouch for Dave in this. I clock in around 72kg with kit and I'm tough on wheels. He built me a set of WTB Frequency with Novatec hubs and the wheelset has been fantastic. They're built for heavier guys but they don't weigh much more than the lighter hoops and my reasoning was that I'd rather have a rock solid wheelset that wouldn't make me cringe when I hit some rocks.

Thanks David,

Will mail you when I am ready.

Looks like the Ztr Gold is not the option for me - especially re the weight.

Thanks everyone

Can vouch for Dave in this. I clock in around 72kg with kit and I'm tough on wheels. He built me a set of WTB Frequency with Novatec hubs and the wheelset has been fantastic. They're built for heavier guys but they don't weigh much more than the lighter hoops and my reasoning was that I'd rather have a rock solid wheelset that wouldn't make me cringe when I hit some rocks.

Eon, agreed - I have the same idea - I ride hard terrain fast sometimes (can't always brake in time!) and do not want to be scared of wheels failing on me ...

Archived