Chainline with XT M8000 11 speed

Lance Roberts

Ok, just an update.

I did a very muddy race on Saturday and when I checked my BB afterwards the bearings were very "crunchy". So I decided to change it.

I removed the spacer from the drive side and put it on the non drive side, took a bit of a chance because it's press-fit and wasn't looking forward to removing it if it didn't work. This gave me an extra 2.5mm chainline towards the 42t.

So far it looks and sounds a lot better, there's a little bit of grinding when I'm in the 37t and 32t  but I'm hoping that will go away when the chain starts to wear in. The chain still jumps down from the 42t and 37t when I back pedal, so I'll just have to get used to it. Going for a ride this afternoon, so will hopefully have some good news.

That brings me to another question, are the newer model bikes, like the Scott Spark/Scale RC, designed specifically for 1x? With the 2.5mm gain that I got now my chainring is dangerously close to the chainstay. I think it'll be fine, but there's no more room for improvement...

If you buy a SparkScale RC, will you be able to put a 2x crank on it if you decide to do longer stage rides that might need the extra gears? Or is it now setup for 1x?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a slap in the face for those planning to buy just the 11spd cassette, shifter and RD to upgrade their 1x10 or 2x10 to 1x11. Not being able to backpedal to avoid rocks in tricky tech terrain would be a problem for me. I suggest the following checks before you spend :

1) some dedicated 1x10 frames might not be able to space the chainring far enough inwards due to chainstay interference - or you could be prevented from using larger size 1x rings

2) I'm guessing most 2x10 systems should be ok because they have some clearance already for an inner chainring but after you have moved all BB spacers to the other side and fitted spacers under the spider there is little more you can do. Some frames maybe worse than others. My SC LTc is borderline..... I have one thin BB spacer left that I could move.

3) still waiting to hear from the Pyga Stage owners with the new chainline offset - does this work for or against?

First time this has come up and it's the biggest issue in going 11 speed. The frame is the one thing you can do nothing about. If your chain stay is too proud, you won't be able to get the chainring close enough to the centre of the cassette. Spacers, removing BB shims and buying a new crank won't help you. I'm in this situ with my hardtail. Its just a no go for 11 spd. But my dual sus frame is fine. 

Unless you're Patrick Morewood, and you just shift the whole rear hub placement over a few mm. Which gives you the perfect chainline and incidentally means you don't have to dish your back wheel... which makes it much stronger. 

First time this has come up and it's the biggest issue in going 11 speed. The frame is the one thing you can do nothing about. If your chain stay is too proud, you won't be able to get the chainring close enough to the centre of the cassette. Spacers, removing BB shims and buying a new crank won't help you. I'm in this situ with my hardtail. Its just a no go for 11 spd. But my dual sus frame is fine.

Unless you're Patrick Morewood, and you just shift the whole rear hub placement over a few mm. Which gives you the perfect chainline and incidentally means you don't have to dish your back wheel... which makes it much stronger.

I have since gone 1x11 on a SC Hightower. Chainstay clearance is an issue. I had to put a 1mm spacer under the cassette and a M8000 B1 crank (+3 crank chainline for boost). Can run a round 34t chainring max. Oval 34 or a 36 will hit the chainstay unless I space it further out and ruin the chainline to cassette.

Before the 1x11 I had 1x10 on the Hightower for a while and it fitted just fine with standard cranks and 10 speed cassette.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think we are going to look back in a few years time at the 1X system fad and say "WTF were we thinking" - mark my words. Not all things the bike industry are telling or trying to sell us is better than what we have or had. When you want something on your bike and you need special spacers or parts just to make it work, the bike industry is failing us.

I think we are going to look back in a few years time at the 1X system fad and say "WTF were we thinking" - mark my words. Not all things the bike industry are telling or trying to sell us is better than what we have or had. When you want something on your bike and you need special spacers or parts just to make it work, the bike industry is failing us.

That's what people said about different wheelsizes as well at the beginning.

29er's used to be crap to ride. But geometries have adapted and frame designers have learned how to design lekker 9ers.

Same with 1x, in a couple of years the growing pains will he ironed out.

I have 2bikes. A 1x and a 2x. The 2x will be converted to 1x soon. It feels archaic compared to the 1x when switching between bikes.

Actually, I'll rate 1x with Tubeless and dropper posts in terms of upgrade awesomeness.

I think they're here to stay, just because of the senseless craving for more gears. Imagine if Shimano came up with a wide range 10 spd system. 11-46. Now THAT would be something.

That's what people said about different wheelsizes as well at the beginning.

29er's used to be crap to ride. But geometries have adapted and frame designers have learned how to design lekker 9ers.

Same with 1x, in a couple of years the growing pains will he ironed out.

I have 2bikes. A 1x and a 2x. The 2x will be converted to 1x soon. It feels archaic compared to the 1x when switching between bikes.

Actually, I'll rate 1x with Tubeless and dropper posts in terms of upgrade awesomeness.

Ha ha Philip....I am still on the fence. Rode my old 2x10 TBLTc yesterday and loved it. A gear for every slight change in gradient. I reckon I would be quicker in a race on 2x10 but 1x has its advantages for recreational riding.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This is a bit tedious, but anyone thinking of going 1x11 should watch it. You can't have your cake and eat it.

I think they're here to stay, just because of the senseless craving for more gears. Imagine if Shimano came up with a wide range 10 spd system. 11-46. Now THAT would be something.

You mean more than wha tyou can get through Sunrace / Praxis in their 11-42 cassettes?

You mean more than wha tyou can get through Sunrace / Praxis in their 11-42 cassettes?

Everyone always wants more. I have an 1x10 11-42, but stupidly I bought an 11-46 11spd setup. Think I'll stick to to the 42. Less wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Archived