94.7 MTB 55km Race Stop?

Pdv7809

Hi guys.

Has anybody found any details on the race stop at Waterpoint 3 on the 55km route this year?

We arrived there at around 12:15, and were all stopped from continuing the race. There was some indication that the medical team stopped the race due to the heat, but we were also told during the commute back to the venue (on the "wagon of shame" an hour later...) that we missed the cut-off time for waterpoint 3.

I would just like some clarity, as there was no mention of any cut-off times on the website or final instructions. I also mailed the race office, have had no reply from them.

Just for info, I started in Batch A8, 8:45, so we were on the course for around 3 hours 30 min when we were stopped. Does anybody have any helpful information?

I heard it was precaution due to extreme temperature....I didn't even know there were cut off times.

Some people took over 5 hours to finish....confused :eek:

Thanks for the info, guys. The temparature recorded while we were waiting for the bus was around 37 deg.

I was hoping that there was at least an official statement somewhere in the cloud, but nothing so far.

Next year will have to try to not too spend so much time taking in the aroma around the sewage works, or looking at wilted grass on the Stein City Rollercoaster... :whistling:

our group was 7km away from finishing when they pulled us off the trail and told us the race has been stopped.

phoned my wife (who was at the finish line) to tell her what is happening, after sitting in the sun for +/- 45 min for the van of shame, she phones me to ask why is there still people from the 55km race coming through the finish line???

none of us were told of a "cut off time", by the time they dropped us off, they had pretty much packed up and cleaning the area, which kind of makes me feel like they "had better things to do"

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a a$$ but this was my first and last mtb race with them, did the road race last year and loved it, was expecting the same with the mtb race.

oh just out of interest, they knew it was going to be a hot day, why didn't they just shorten the race, like when its to muddy???

You can not just shorten a route - it's laid out and measured. You may not even go off the route.

The last 7 km's is the toughest part of the route and can take over an hour to complete if you're a tailender - more so if you start getting cramps.

It's a pity you did not enjoy it - to me, it really is one of the better races around - especially with all the problems this year with the Trailseekers.

You can not just shorten a route - it's laid out and measured. You may not even go off the route.

The last 7 km's is the toughest part of the route and can take over an hour to complete if you're a tailender - more so if you start getting cramps.

It's a pity you did not enjoy it - to me, it really is one of the better races around - especially with all the problems this year with the Trailseekers.

I agree on this point.

What are your opinions on the riders that are left on the course at this time? Do you guys feel that we should get some form of recompense for the race, or just be happy that the race is over and get on the "Bus of Shame". Personally I felt done in as I had been pacing myself the whole race to make sure I would have legs left for the last 10km, only to be denied. 

It sounds like they were looking after the back markers safety. Rather than have an incident, make sure all riders get home safe.

It was probably a good move. What will help you is a better seeding. If you up your seeding status, you will get a better chance of riding in the cooler temps.

Also it's not a decision that's taken lightly - if the medical advise is to stop the race, the organisers are obliged to comply.

I am sure it was not pleasant for the guys that were stopped but when the the temps hit 40deg on Sunday, it was probably the safe choice.

It sounds like they were looking after the back markers safety. Rather than have an incident, make sure all riders get home safe.

It was probably a good move. What will help you is a better seeding. If you up your seeding status, you will get a better chance of riding in the cooler temps.

True as well. It was severely hot, and my friends (who had the better seeding) also told me that it was safer, they had to stop halfway up the hill to rest. Under the only tree in the area apparently.

Thanks again for all the information and opinions. I am aspiring to get better seeding from next year onwards, as I am tired of being followed by sweeper vehicles... :blink:

I had seeded in A6. Crashed in the first KM of the race. Managed to burp my front tyre right off the rim. Walked back to the technical table to see if they had a compressor to try re-seat the tyre. Turns out they only had a foot pump. I managed to seat the tyre with my last bomb and started in the last batch.

Ride was slow through the single track areas.

I Stopped to help someone that completely bent his rear derailer and snapped his chain, Then stopped to help a guy that fell in front of me, helped him up and got his bike out the way.

I Got to last water point and was one of the first to be stopped. Got told the Doctors called the race because of heat. It was pretty k@k knowing you only got less than 10km to finish but have to go back in a Bakkie.

Not my best bike ride.

Some years ago, the Argus was also stopped because of the heat. It happens, never an easy decision for the race organisers, but they have to do it. Happens in every sport. Rather safe.... Only solution is to improve your seeding - easier said than done, but that is it.

I would just like some clarity, as there was no mention of any cut-off times on the website or final instructions. I also mailed the race office, have had no reply from them.

Just for info, I started in Batch A8, 8:45, so we were on the course for around 3 hours 30 min when we were stopped. Does anybody have any helpful information?

I've also a similar question to the race-organizers and I've received the following response:

---------------------------------------------

Good afternoon "The_Black_Stig" (real name changed to my alias for obvious reasons)

Thank you for your email.

Your concerns are definitely noted. A decision was made by the race doctor to call the race off, for the last riders out on the course. We were dealing with 43 degree heat on the climb out of Steyn City, and the health risk was simply too high.

We stopped about 85 riders in total at the time of 12:37. You started at 08:40, and therefore had been riding for just on 4 hours, at the 44km mark. I’ve taken a screen shot of the climbs that were remaining, and that were measuring the temperatures on – which illustrates to you how hard the last part of the course is. At your recorded speed, you would have been out there for another hour.

{Image of the elevation map for the last 2 climbs was attached in the original mail that I've received}

Unfortunately this is not something we enjoy doing, and obviously want everyone to finish the race – but health and safety issues are our first priority.

We will be, through the course of the day, be providing Racetec with details of the riders that were swept, so that your riding time to that point will be considered in terms of seeding going forward.

There are medals available, and we are happy to provide you with same. We are on site at Riversands all week, leading up to Cycle Challenge Sunday.

I trust you find this in order, and we encourage you to join us next year, to fulfil the goal of completing the event.

Kind Regards

Jenni Green

Business Development | Harford Sports Promotions SA (Pty) Ltd

Race Director | Momentum 947 Mountain Bike Challenge

Sporting Director | Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge UCI 1.1 Ladies Event

-----------------------------------------------------

My "current concern" is that, Racetec has not been updated with the race-results for all the people who were affected from this race-decision. (So crossing fingers on their part of the obligations)

I think the organisers did brilliant work. Nobody died and it was a real possibility. Remember the JUMA outcry?

I hate to be the one but nobody else will say it:

There was a shorter route.

The end was the harder part.

If you ride at 10.1km/h up to there you will take more than an hour to finish -most likely 90min (terrain and fatigue).

All big races have a cut-off policy.

What would you have seen as reasonable???