Thule VeloCompact 2 / 3 - who has some advice

travisza

Looking at getting the Velocompact 2.

I have a couple questions for those that have them:

1.) Would you buy it again?

2.) Do you regret not getting the 3-bike version?

3.) By any chance do you know of best price in Gauteng? Or else I'm going direct to Thule in Woodmead

I have carbon road and time trial bikes, as well as an ali 26er MTB that I would need to transport.

If you're buying one, go straight for the 3 bike, it'll be more expensive but you'll be surprised how handy having the extra gap can come in handy.

Also you do get the option of adding on another bike, not sure if it works on the 2 bike but I know for the 3 bike that you can add on the attachment and make it a 4 bike carrier.

I'm based down in Durban but get cracker deals on Thule stuff through a friend. Pm if interested

1. Yes. Never had any issues with any of Thule's products

2. Not really. The amount of times I really needed a 3-bike carrier was so few and far between that it didn't justify it for me. Bulk of the time I was driving around with one bike only in any case. Only you will know what will work for you, though.

3. Can't help you here, but I've been to Woodmead and their service and advise is great. Cool bunch f people too.

I have the Euroride which is similar, very happy with it !!

I also have Carbon RB, TT Bike and 29er and would be unlikely to take all 3 if going on holiday/away

Only have the 2 bike and the number of times am likely to have 3 is not very often.

Have only been to Woodmead for spares and they have been very helpful.

• 5 years later...

Revival of note.

So I have the 2 bike version. Bought without trying the two boost spacing 29ers on there. I based this purchase on a review done by Enduro magazine where they said they had zero problems loading a variety of bikes and using it for 1000km plus.

Problem is 2015 didn’t have boost spacing. Second problem is the second bike is with the dealer for warranty work so we couldn’t test fit.

Does anyone here use this rack with two bikes and boost spacing?

TBH these carriers are designed for road bikes and not mountain bikes - I carry 2xMTB (mine & the wife's - both boost) and battle to fit them comfortably on the 2 bike velocompact - doubt i could fit them both on a 2 bike - then off course there's the kids bikes...

On a side note - BEWARE of carbon rims and thule bike racks - there's far more carbon rims out there now than in 2015 and if your car exhaust blows out onto the rim it'll be toast within 15 minutes.

Edited by JBK

Revival of note.

So I have the 2 bike version. Bought without trying the two boost spacing 29ers on there. I based this purchase on a review done by Enduro magazine where they said they had zero problems loading a variety of bikes and using it for 1000km plus.

Problem is 2015 didn’t have boost spacing. Second problem is the second bike is with the dealer for warranty work so we couldn’t test fit.

Does anyone here use this rack with two bikes and boost spacing?

The bikes will fit.

The typical issue relates to handle bars clashing with seats ....

Two solutions...

1. Straps and ties to protect the bikes where this happens

2. Dropper seat posts ... with bars passing over the dropped seat there is contact points.

The few times we transported two off 29ers I had to strap and protect the contact points.

Transporting a 29 and a smaller bike is way more of an issue ...

Will go with Imbi protectors on the forks and both bikes have dropper posts.

I did notice the cranks get very very close the bar that holds the arms with the clamps. I was thinking of wrapping the bar with the fluffy side of sticky back velcro.

Will go with Imbi protectors on the forks and both bikes have dropper posts.

I did notice the cranks get very very close the bar that holds the arms with the clamps. I was thinking of wrapping the bar with the fluffy side of sticky back velcro.

Jip. The cranks touch the bar ... I turn the crank UP, and just in front of the bar.

This way it does not touch the bar, AND the other pedal is low and out of the way for the second bike.

Jip. The cranks touch the bar ... I turn the crank UP, and just in front of the bar.

This way it does not touch the bar, AND the other pedal is low and out of the way for the second bike.

A wealth of knowledge. Thank you sir.