Bike Issues...

B1cyk1ll3r

So in the few months ive had my bike, Dropper post has failed i think the seals are shot and at R1500 to repair it's really not an option at the moment... Would it be in my best interest to get a regular post until i can repair the dropper? I was thinking of maybe offering it up for sale for spares or for swap. Then looking at the price of a new one i thought maybe it would be better just to hang on to it for now. I've been riding with it permanently lowered and this obviously makes the climbs really difficult...

Also im need of a new set of tires, im running Schwalbe HD up front and IBEX on the rear. The side knobs on the front tire are visibly starting to tear off. It is a tubeless setup. And tubeless ready tires are quite alot more expensive than the latter. Any recommendations on reasonably priced tubeless tires? If i can get in at under R500 per tire that would be ideal. I really don't want to convert back to tubes for cheaper tires...

Forgive my lack of knowledge but this is all still quite new to me and im learning as much as i can as i go along!

I would say keep the dropper and run a normal post until it can be fixed.

I was in sort of a similar situation - the seals went on mine and was without it for ages. (sneaking suspicion I was doing seat post clamp up too tight which may have hastened the process).

They aren't necessary to enjoying time on your bike, just nice to have. Hang onto it and then get it repaired when you can.

For tyres you might be best off watching the specials at places like CWC and classifieds here?

Which dropper is it?

Just swap it out with a standard post for now if you can't afford to fix it right now. It's pointless running a dropper if it's stuck in the lowered position permanently.

IMO Specialized have the most cost effective tubeless MTB tyres. 500-550 for standard sidewalls (control), 550-600 for thicker sidewalls (grid). Otherwise just look in classifieds. I've picked up brand new tubeless tyres at less than half price with a little patience.

I would say keep the dropper and run a normal post until it can be fixed.

I was in sort of a similar situation - the seals went on mine and was without it for ages. (sneaking suspicion I was doing seat post clamp up too tight which may have hastened the process).

They aren't necessary to enjoying time on your bike, just nice to have. Hang onto it and then get it repaired when you can.

For tyres you might be best off watching the specials at places like CWC and classifieds here?

Which dropper is it?

Just swap it out with a standard post for now if you can't afford to fix it right now. It's pointless running a dropper if it's stuck in the lowered position permanently.

IMO Specialized have the most cost effective tubeless MTB tyres. 500-550 for standard sidewalls (control), 550-600 for thicker sidewalls (grid). Otherwise just look in classifieds. I've picked up brand new tubeless tyres at less than half price with a little patience.

It's the rockshox reverb. 

What about Conti tyres? cheapest ive seen locally at least... Ill be keeping an eye on the classifieds though.

What about Conti tyres? cheapest ive seen locally at least... Ill be keeping an eye on the classifieds though.

Some love 'em, some hate 'em.

Though just make sure you're comparing apples with apples when checking the prices. Conti have a lot of tyres that aren't proper tubeless tyres.

Some love 'em, some hate 'em.

Though just make sure you're comparing apples with apples when checking the prices. Conti have a lot of tyres that aren't proper tubeless tyres.

The ones ive seen listed say "tubeless ready" ???

Spez tyres are the best value you'll find at the moment.

As for the post, hang onto it until you can get it sorted. They're moer expensive to buy new.

Spez tyres are the best value you'll find at the moment.

As for the post, hang onto it until you can get it sorted. They're moer expensive to buy new.

Where can i find the spez tyres? i haven't seen any advertised anywhere or on any local online retailers. My LBS doesn't offer much..

Vittoria (ex Geax) tyres also good value - I only know of the "TNT" range.

Conti tyres you have to look at the "protection" ones to compare to the Schwalbe "Snakeskin". Spez tyres equivalent is the "Grid" version.

Archived