Need to Purchase a New bike mine was stolen

habib

So I have owned and riden the same HT since April 2009 it was a 26' Merida MATT TFS 900 xc and the @#$%$@!$@^%$@^ have stolen it.

it was perfect for me and did me well on some out and about tours. I am now looking at buying again but need help in getting to understand the new spec and what is good and what is bad.

I have about R15k and if I find the right something will consider upping that value. to a max of R20k

I have only ever riden Hard Tail so can not compare but want to know from your fundis is it more advisable to stay hardtail pay a little less for a bike with better spec all over except the rear shock? or take a Dual and loose on the components, I am not worried about the weight but more the reliability and durability of the component

if I remember the spec on my Merida I think it was almost all XT components do I try keep with the XT or X9(sram) or have things changed a bit since I last bought a Bike

Any answers will be very much appreciated

Thanks
Habib

First decide what type of riding you want to do. IMO, go for a DS if you're only going to have one bike, more versatile and all that.

For R15k and a bit of patience you'll be able to find an Al DS with decent components in the classifieds, or you can get a nice plastic HT. Don't be too focused on XT, SLX from 2015 is likely superior to XT from 2009 due to trickle down tech.

As always: Giant Anthem/Trance.

For example;

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/163947-giant-anthem-275-large/

Almost new, great bike, in your price range. Groupset is likely SLX with XT RD.

Thanks for the reply,

I am not much of an open road rider and tend to prefer a short (15-20km) fast ride on trails rather then XC.

with that said I have been Offered a 2012 Specialized Epic Comp dual for R20k

For a 2012 aluminium framed bike I'd say that's quite overpriced without knowing the component spec.

That Spez was only about 25k new back then. I think a 2015 one new is around 32k.

That Giant looks like great value.

If you liked the merida hardtail, basically a new one of what you had would be this:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/149349-2016-merida-big-nine-xt-2x11-speed/

or a second hand carbon hardtail with similar spec:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/166067-giant-xtc-comp-29er/

Thanks for the reply,

I am not much of an open road rider and tend to prefer a short (15-20km) fast ride on trails rather then XC.

I bought a new 2012 Trance with full XT for less than that but it was a 26in wheel.

This thread is interesting. I too will be in the market for a new bike as mine has a bit of a kink after some percussive automotive maintenance. I was looking at a Spez HT Rockhopper, largely because it was what I had, but I'm now starting to think Giant may be the way to go. I had a hardtail and was wondering how much difference DS actually makes? I did the monster earlier this year on my hardtail and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Would a DS have made that much difference?

This thread is interesting. I too will be in the market for a new bike as mine has a bit of a kink after some percussive automotive maintenance. I was looking at a Spez HT Rockhopper, largely because it was what I had, but I'm now starting to think Giant may be the way to go. I had a hardtail and was wondering how much difference DS actually makes? I did the monster earlier this year on my hardtail and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Would a DS have made that much difference?

For XC type riding, probably not. You'd have probably just been a little more comfortable and your times may have been a bit slower due to the extra weight, reduced pedaling efficiency, however they could be faster asmy understanding is that a DS helps with fatigue on longer rides (think multi-stage events).

I had to sell my Trance this year and go back to my HT, what I miss is not so much the comfort but rather the control I had over a bike that seemed to 'sit' onto a trail, rock etc and not just float about.

Thanks for the reply,

Look for a decent one or two year old carbon hard tail 29 er. Then put a dropper seat post on it. I think dual suspension is something you look at when you are spending R50K plus.

I had a dual suspension giant Anthem 26 er. I find I can push my carbon 29 er with a dropper post much harder. I only miss my dual suspension on very long rides when I am pretty tired.

Giant offers the best all-around value for money across frame and components these days and Giant Anthems start at around R23k for a 2015 Anthem 27.5" 3 and if you had to only have one bike, a dual sus is the way to go. It just allows you to ride a wider variety of trails with complete control and comfort. 

Remember with components every year there is a "trickle-down" effect as groupsets are updated so XT quality 4/5 years ago is similar to SLX/Deore quality now.

Check out www.giantcapetown.co.za for the 2016 range and give the guys at the new Giant Cape Town concept store a call on 021 2861089 for advice, they're super helpful and have the range on their shop floor to check out.

I had to sell my Trance this year and go back to my HT, what I miss is not so much the comfort but rather the control I had over a bike that seemed to 'sit' onto a trail, rock etc and not just float about.

Ah. yes I can imagine. My HT rode like a jinking pony at high speed over rough terrain.

Ah. yes I can imagine. My HT rode like a jinking pony at high speed over rough terrain.

My first HT 26 was terrible, felt like it was trying to through me off on every drop off or down hill. With the 29 HT, that feeling has disappeared. It is still hard, but in a good way. The carbon HT feels like a road bike on the dirt, if that makes sense. I do enjoy the feeling. The faster you go, the more it seems to flatten out.

Keep an eye on the HUB...that's where bargains hide  :thumbup:

Don't be shy to buy a steel frame (Cotic or Ritchey) with good Shimano components and a decent wheel set! This will be good value with a bit of comfort.

You can always move the components over to a DS later!

There's more to life than Spez... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning guys.

I have been a little quite on this thread as I have been out looking and not had much time to post details.

So while on business in nelspruit I have been offered this and wanted to know what would be a good price to pay for a bike like this

It's a Rocky Mountain Vertex 970rsl

11 -1 gear ration SRAM XO

R1 break levers

RX calipers

Rockshocks Reba forks

Merida Pro Seat Post

Stans no tube ZTR crest 29er wheels

Standard SPD pedals (I don't have shoes with so the guy put platforms on so I could test it)

Archived