Bike Frame Size

Willem Roothman

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to buy a new Mountain Bike, Hard tail.

I'm 1.76m tall in total and from crotch to floor is 83cm.

Will a medium or a small frame size fit me better?

Also, what are your feelings about a Bianchi Kumo 27.1 bike? For a sort of beginner, have done a lot of riding but had to sell my bike two years ago, looking to start again.

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to buy a new Mountain Bike, Hard tail.

I'm 1.76m tall in total and from crotch to floor is 83cm.

Will a medium or a small frame size fit me better?

Also, what are your feelings about a Bianchi Kumo 27.1 bike? For a sort of beginner, have done a lot of riding but had to sell my bike two years ago, looking to start again.

DEFINITELY not a small. No way in hell. 

You're more likely to be on the edge of M/L, with a bias towards a new geometry medium (longer & lower) or old geometry large (shorter)

Small bikes are for shorties. You're not a shorty, but neither are you a tallie. 

What sort of riding are you looking at doing, and what is your budget? Terrain?

DEFINITELY not a small. No way in hell. 

You're more likely to be on the edge of M/L, with a bias towards a new geometry medium (longer & lower) or old geometry large (shorter)

Small bikes are for shorties. You're not a shorty, but neither are you a tallie. 

What sort of riding are you looking at doing, and what is your budget? Terrain?

I would just like to do a bit of weekend trail riding wherever the bike will allow me to go, enjoy a bit more technical stuff. I also reckoned that an 18" frame would suit me best. Maybe a 650B in medium?

I would just like to do a bit of weekend trail riding wherever the bike will allow me to go, enjoy a bit more technical stuff. I also reckoned that an 18" frame would suit me best. Maybe a 650B in medium?

Wheelsize doesn't dictate frame size, just the geometry would. 

Budget?

Have a look on the bike manufacturer's website. Most of them have a sizing chart that you can reference. Sizing differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. This should be your safest bet. You can also ask the sales rep to confirm the size. 

At your height I would start looking at Medium. Manufacturers vary a little in their sizing so check the sizing chart for each model rather than relying on a generic chart. Then, if the bike shop has stock, ride both the M and L to confirm.

heights is nt so much a limiting factor as the geometry of the bikes. 

Thats said Ive never seen anyone in the <175cm height bracket very comfortable on really technical terrain. They think they're comfortable but then theres a guy on a 2er they're holding up and he's shouting "trek trek"....

I'd say medium 650b would be an ideal place to start

I heard for more technical stuff a 29'er might be mire difficult for my height? My budget is about R7000.

FYI There's guys who way shorter then you and ride a 29er. It's the frame not the wheel size. (There are obviously exceptions but there loads of threads which you can research about the pro's and con's of the diff wheel sizes, and for what style and terrain of riding the diff wheel sizes adapt best to)

Hope you come right though mate !

And just choose what you most comfortable on ! Go test ride !

Sounds like a medium to me, stand over height and top tube lengths would need to be check on bikes you are interested in. ie: and medium Gaint may not have the same measurements as a Scott medium. 

What sort of riding are you doing? and what is your budget?

I cannot comment on the Bianchi but looking at that 10K price range you will be able to pick up something with better spec from the classifieds here on the hub. 

For example 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/167198-scott-spark-30/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/167149-titan-pro-xt/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/166921-scott-genius-rc1-carbon/

:thumbup:

Archived